Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
venturan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have base station 3000 and some cameras receive a very poor signal, I can't move the VMB3000 base or add an additional base.

I'd like to know if the base VMB4000 has more range of VMB3000, so I can solve the problem by upgrade the base.

Thanks!! 

13 REPLIES 13
brh
Master
Master

@venturan

I have both bases and I can't tell any difference in the range from the bases to the cameras. I know you didn't want to hear this.

Brian

venturan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your feedback, so Iàve to keep the system as it is....well I save 79$

brh
Master
Master

@venturan

Out of curiosity, why can't you add additional bases?

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

+1  Use of a powerline or WiFi extender allows the addition of another base in a different location easily.

venturan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well I'd like avoid anothere base because I should pull another network cable.

Guru,

I don't understand what you means with use a powerline or WIFI extender...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can extend your home network without wires by using a WiFi (connects to the router via WiFi) or powerline (connects to your router through your home electrical wiring). Once that's in place, you can simply plug a second base (or the first one) into the extender for optimal positioning for the base to camera WiFi connection. It just allows you to easily extend your home network so a base can be connected in a different location without long cables.

venturan
Aspirant
Aspirant

So If I understand I need  one wifi extender and one more Arlo base.

The wifi extender it's connected to the home wifi network and than I connect the wifi extender to the base with a network cable, is that correct?

brh
Master
Master

@venturan

The wifi extender simply plugs into the wall and connects wirelessly to your router. It must have at least one ethernet plug so that the second base can connect to it. 

There are 4 ways that I know of to even out the signal strength of all the cameras and all will require a second base station that must plug into an ethernet plug on the router, extender or router satellite:

1) You can run a Cat5 or 6 cable to where you want the second base station to be placed.

2) You can use a power line extender - I haven't used one of these, so I don't know exactly how they work. I believe they modulate a signal on your home's electrical wires.

3) You can use a wifi extender. The only thing that I did not like about that was that the wifi name on the extender had to have a different name from you normal Wifi. This worked fine with Arlo, but it would not let me set up my Skybell Video Doorbell. 

4) if you want a long term solution, especially if you think the number of your internet devices will grow in the future, is to spend the money and purchase a mesh router with satellites. Just be sure the satellites have enough ethernet plugs for expansion. Many do not. I settled on the Netgear Orbi mesh router system and although quite expensive, it has worked flawlessly for me and I have lots of room for expansion.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@venturan wrote:

So If I understand I need  one wifi extender and one more Arlo base.

The wifi extender it's connected to the home wifi network and than I connect the wifi extender to the base with a network cable, is that correct?

Yes.

brh
Master
Master

@venturan

The base connects to the wifi extender through an ethernet cable. Plug the extender to the wall and set it up, then plug the new base into the ethernet port on the extender.

Brian

venturan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well all solution, except run a cable, are good....

So the WIFI extender create another WIFI network, is this true?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

In a sense, yes, but it's really just extending your existing WiFi. Some extenders will create a new SSID while others will use the original SSID.  Either way works fine.

venturan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks guys for your help !!