Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Automating mode changes

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
LenShustek
Tutor
Tutor

I'd like a quicker way to turn on motion detection (ie "change mode") when I leave the house -- something simpler than firing up an app or browser and clicking through a bunch of menus. Something really simple, like a hidden toggle switch behind the door. (Or for more sophistication, having my Control4 system do it when I press the "depart" button on its keypad.)

So the question is:are there any ways to change mode other than having a human navigate screen menus? I suppose I could connect the toggle switch to a Raspberry Pi and program it to log on to the Arlo portal and simulate mouse movements and key clicks, but that's not very elegant or robust.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

At this time, no...  The fastest method for me is on the phone.

but there has been requests for 'geo-fences' and keyfobs to turn all on.  Maybe it will happen down the road with the two usb ports that have been waiting for options.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
LenShustek
Tutor
Tutor

Ok, thanks.

I've dusted off my 3-year-old Raspberry Pi ($30), and I've learned how to write a script that will start a web browser (Epiphany) and simulate mouse movements and keystrokes. I'll experiment with controlling my Arlo and report back here in a while.

LenShustek
Tutor
Tutor

It took me longer than I expected, but I've successfully turned the Raspberry Pi into a simple "push here to enable motion sensing" switch for my Arlo.

For the details, see https://github.com/LenShustek/ArloCamera

-- Len

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Very nice... good work.

Morse is faster than texting!
LenShustek
Tutor
Tutor

Two updates:

- I verified that my switchbox works with more than one camera.

- I added a second light to the box, so you know whether motion sensing is on or off.

The details are at https://github.com/LenShustek/ArloCamera

punit
Tutor
Tutor