Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
wilburville
Tutor
Tutor

Apologies again. New here.

I undertand when the regular Arlo cameras change between day and night vision, they have audible clicking sounds. My Arlo Q picks these up (easily 30 feet away across a room in a hallway) while I am away and sends a couple dozen Sound alerts to my App and email everyday. Annoying.  I don't know why with no one home, day time or night time, these clicks are occurring. In 5 days since new, the battery meter is around 50%!  I assume I need to lower the sensitivity on the Arlo Q? The audible clicking on this regular camera in question is quite loud. To complicate the story here, a times it sounds like the Arlo Q itself is making clicking sounds and detecting itself as well. Ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How have you determined that it's the wireless camera causing the noise? Try removing the camera temporarily to see if it still happens. Is the camera in bright light during the day? Is it actually recording anything? Q sound sensitivity would be the reasonable thing to change but identifying the source of the sound and why its happening is needed. I guess the sound could be loud in the right circumstances but it's generally not what I'd call loud.

wilburville
Tutor
Tutor

Here's what's happening. I have R7000 AC1900 router with latest update so can sync directly to it without any base station.

I have 1 Q and 2 "egg" cameras. I set everything up easily enough with default settings. I left town. Started getting many sound alerts on my Q, say 2 dozen everyday since. Annoying. Practically everything in the house is off electrically except the cablemodem and router, refridgerator, furnace and some lights on timers.

Twice now in 3 days I asked a neighbor to enter and determine what's making this loud click. The one egg camera. Not the other. To complcate matters I disarmed and turned off the IR night vision to see if the problem went away. Not entirely. I still get loud immediate clicks. But not as many!  Neighbor today said for sure, 100%, it's coming from one of the egg cameras when the IR lights trigger on when he put his hand in front to cover up the ambient light. I read this is normal. Though he says it's loud. I don't get as many clicks with the egg IR set to off which leads me to believe the Q itelf is clicking and creating a sound trigger too. Auto triggering?

Can I post a video link with a loud click?

What's disturbing is the egg camera that's clicks (the other one rarely clicks...go figure) is at 50% battery in 5 days.

All three cameras push alert and record just fine. The egg cameras of course only triggered motion when the neighbor entered. The Q triggers motion when lights outside the house come on or off and with neighbor motion, but it's the dozens and dozens of sound alerts that's driving me up the wall.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Saw this after your PM.

Yes, you can post a video.  The easiest way is to view your library and use the Share capability on the bottom bar.  Copy the link and paste it here in a response.  It might be useful to post a video from both the Q and the camera causing the issue.

Truning off night vision is reasonable as long as there's enough light for the camera to be able to grab a useful video.  Having a light on nearby could help.  As for possible resolutions to the problem, there's a few settings you could try, such as reducing the sensitivity on the Q for the sound actuation (or disable it, if appropriate) as well as reducing the wireless camera's sensitivity to motion, which should also help with battery life.  Is it safe to assume that when the wireless camera clicks, it's recording?  Short of adding distance or barriers (such as placing a camera around at least one corner), I think that playing with the various sesnsitivity settings is what will mitigate the issue.