Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo with supplemental infrared lighting to enhance night vision

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
jr0515
Follower
Follower

Has any user tried using an external infrared LED light to enhance the range of the night vision of the camera?  I was thinking about putting up an IR "spotlight" for night-time use to illuminate my driveway ...curious to know if anyone has tried this before and had positive (or negative) results.

4 REPLIES 4
manfredz
Hero
Hero

just guessing here but you might find that the external IR may constantly set the cam off.  But interesting idea and am curious if anyone who has tried can supply feedback.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I used and still do now and then use the Flood light from Vuezone that is IR at 850nm..... it is not motion activated but stays on

Any IR in that range should work for you

It has a built in day/night sensor and just about covers 4-5x time the area of the ones in the camera ( see below )

Just remember, you may want a flood over a spot light as the distance of a spot may be more than the sense level of the PIR... sort of wasted ir lighting

vuezone flood

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Srivenky
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just installed arlo pro system and with Lifx + BR30 series bulb with inbuilt IR, the camera just detects a white dot and nothing more, don’t know if it’s a filter in camera which is blocking external IR or some settings are available.. note that other cameras works well but not arlo pro ( not yet)!
stuff4dave
Initiate
Initiate

Acording to the Lifx site, their inbuilt IR operates a 950nm wavelength, but I believe the Arlo cameras use 850nm so the lifx lights are not compatible with Arlo's night vision capabilities. That's probably why you're not seeing anything.