Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo says cameras are offline, but base station says its fine.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
sportbikerr1
Tutor
Tutor

This morning I went to go take a look at my cameras and they were all offline, it said my station wasn't connected to the net, but I looked at the base station and it was completely fine, both camera and lights net connection lights were green.  I power cycled the Arlo and it works fine.

This is REALLY bad for a cloud only storage service.  The fact that I had to power cycle the device physically to get it to work is just horrific.  At first i was looking forward to this this system, but now i'm just starting to think its going to fail when i need it most.  Also after reading all the complaints about the loss of internet conneciton, the protected by Arlo sticker just seems like a "please cut my internet cable" sticker 🙂

Anyways base station not reconnecting, whats the deal?  My entire network is on UPS backups, so I know there was no loss of power.

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's also possible that you just needed to log out and back in. This occasionally helps. If this happens again, try using the app or different browser. If those work, the initial attempt probably just needed that log out to jump start it. Dunno why it matters, it just does.

sportbikerr1
Tutor
Tutor

That doesn't make alot of sense though since I left the app open and power cycling the base unit fixed it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Which is effectively the same thing as logging out and in. Just try it next time and see if it helps.

sportbikerr1
Tutor
Tutor

How is that even close to the same thing.  Your talking about 2 physical different enitites.  The only way that makes sense is if the base unit pushes data down to your app that says all this info was changed and you need to refresh it.  I won't be trying again because given the other flaws with the system this thing is being returned.

Flaguy57
Tutor
Tutor

I have also been having an issue with my cameras going offline for no apparent reason. I did some investigating and found that my base station keeps changing channels and bouncing between wifi channel 6 and channel 11. When this happens the cameras lose connectivity for a while. Does anyone know of a way to manually assign the base station to a specific channel?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's no way to change or force channels.  If the base is close to the router, it will pick up the same channel as the router.  If you move it far enough (20' is usually mentioned), it will pick its own channel.  Use a long cable to do this or connect it to a switch in another part of the house if you happen to have one.  I'm not sure what would happen if you used a WiFi extender - I'd guess it would pick up the same channel as the extender which should be the same one as the base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

sportbikerr1 wrote:

How is that even close to the same thing.  Your talking about 2 physical different enitites.  The only way that makes sense is if the base unit pushes data down to your app that says all this info was changed and you need to refresh it.  I won't be trying again because given the other flaws with the system this thing is being returned.

DO as you like but powering off the base forces you to re-log in.  While the technical details are different, the end result is the same.

j1stealth
Star
Star

I have the same issue.  My system has been going offline a lot more lately.  Usually, it happens when I try to live view a camera and then the whole system goes offline.  I have to restart through and app and it's okay again..

Flaguy57
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. I moved my base station to another room. It's been over a month now and the problem has not reoccurred.