Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I am in Australia and have recently purchased a the Arlo wire Free from a large department store and have 5 cameras

I purchased this in good faith, thinking that I would be able to use Rechargable Batteries here in Australia and would be suitable for my requirements.

Within the packaging which I found when I got home there was an A5 piece of paper stating that Rechargable batteries should NOT be used - and gave various warnings as to why.

The total number of batteries that I require to make the whole system work is 40 Batteries.

If I purchase a similar (non rechargable [Duracel] ) battery that was supplied with the camera, it would cost me AUD$50 for a set of 4 batteries.  Multiply that by 5 camera's and that is $250 for a complete set of replacement batteries.

I recently received an email from Arlo stating that there were now Rechargable batteries available that arerecommended for use in the cameras - however these are only available in the USA!

Because the location of one of my camera's was a busy location, the batteries in that camera lasted 3 weeks, and the other camera's are now also becoming low charged after 4 weeks of use.

I am very disappointed in the product which is going to cost me thousands of $$ to run during the product's life due to the fact that I was not made aware that the product was not able to run on the Rechargable batteries  and those batteries that they do apparantly do work with are not available in Australia.

I am happy to purchase the batteries from the USA - but does anyone have any feedback as to whether they work successfully?? - If not I will be taking my whole purchase back to the store from where they came from!

Any thoughts please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

@manfredz  Thanks for your feedback.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the appropirate batteries and charger via the link on the Arlo site (amazon).

Although they do not ship directly to Australia, I use the Australia Post 'My Post' account which has a logistics company in the USA that will then ship to Australia (for a fee) - but the system works!

I hope I now get many happy hours of vision with the new batteries!

Thank you all for your assistance.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Shipping from the US wouldn't work since no one is likely to do so. There have been recent posts asking to indicate Oz battery options. Maybe someone will post here or search.
AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat  Thanks for your very quick reply!

There are ways and means of legally shipping to Australia from the USA via various logistic companies, however I am really looking for postitive feedback as to the 'recommended' batteries- before I invest further in the product.  I am hoping there is someone with that information!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I'm in Canada and I can easily get and got the recommended Tenergy batteries for 3 of my 4 cams.

I average 15-25 x 120 sec recordings and average dropping 3-5% battery level.  My number of recordings are probably higher than many other users will (mainly used for monitoring cat shelter) A set of 4 takes 2-3 hours to recharge.

If you do order the Tenergy make sure you order the gold colored 3.7 V and not the 3.0 V silver.

As mentioned, in another thread an Ozzy mentioned his sucess with other brands.

Btw, when the setup instructions, it was true that Netgear did not recommend using rechargeables .  But their engineers were hard at work testing and finally came up with recommending the Tenergys.

Other users have posted but success stories as well as warnings about brands to avoid. Many threads are in the forum on both.

There is one good thread that an Ozzi posted of his experience.

Good luck

AusMajor
Aspirant
Aspirant

@manfredz  Thanks for your feedback.

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the appropirate batteries and charger via the link on the Arlo site (amazon).

Although they do not ship directly to Australia, I use the Australia Post 'My Post' account which has a logistics company in the USA that will then ship to Australia (for a fee) - but the system works!

I hope I now get many happy hours of vision with the new batteries!

Thank you all for your assistance.