Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo pro 2 goes offline when trying to view footage. Tried unplugging and resetting.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Henrivonsteen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arlo pro 2, 4 camera system. Everytime I hit play on the app to view current footage my system, it goes offline for a few minutes. It does come back online always though. It just takes anything from one to two minutes. It even happens with my wife's phone.
Using galaxy s7 and S9 updated with latest software and updated Arlo app.
Base station had been unplugged and reseted many times.
Internet router was changed, no difference. (20mb/s download and 10mb/s upload speed)
These cameras are more hassle than just installing a dependable wired system!! Regretting this expensive purchase.

9 REPLIES 9
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey Henrivonsteen,

What is the signal strength that shows when you're trying to view your Arlo Pro 2 camera? Is this happening on WiFi and/or cellular data? And is this happening on the web client on your computer?

We did release a new Arlo app update, which is version 2.12. You can read more about it here: Arlo Android App - 2.12 - 13th December 2019

Henrivonsteen
Aspirant
Aspirant
All Cameras have full signal except one. The network is constantly monitored at 20mb/seconds. This happens with both Galaxy S7 and S9. Happens with mobile data and wifi.
You will get a push notification of motion detected at front door. As soon as you try to view the camera the system goes offline! Useless! Even using your latest app. This is super frustrating.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrivonsteen wrote:

You will get a push notification of motion detected at front door. As soon as you try to view the camera the system goes offline! Useless! Even using your latest app. This is super frustrating.

What happens if you live-stream the camera (w/o the push notification)?

If that also fails - it'd be useful if you could also try to live-stream using the web client.  If you run into the flash issues, let us know what browser you are using.

Henrivonsteen
Aspirant
Aspirant
What happens if you live-stream the camera (w/o the push notification)?

To explain it as plain as possible. Almost every time you open the app to live stream a camera the system goes offline. Not every time but 75% of the time. Used multiple phones, networks, wifi routers and modems. It make no difference. Many people are complaining regarding this. I have never accessed my system via the internet. I always use the app.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrivonsteen wrote:
 I have never accessed my system via the internet. I always use the app.

It'd be useful if you tried using my.arlo.com on a PC - which would help rule out an app issue.  However, that does require flash (which is why I suggested posting back with your preferred browser).  FWIW, Chrome or Edge are somewhat easier than the others.

Not 100% sure what you mean by "access the system via the internet".  If you use the app when away from home or over your mobile data connection, you absolutely are using the internet.  But I suspect you are equating the "internet" with your browser - which is fundamentally incorrect.

@Henrivonsteen wrote:
 Almost every time you open the app to live stream a camera the system goes offline.  ... Many people are complaining regarding this

How far is that particular camera from the base station?  Does it connect more reliably if you move it closer (perhaps into the same room as the base)?

I agree this is a common issue - and there are multiple causes.  But the main one is that the camera isn't making a good connection with the base.  This will also drain your battery fairly quickly.  It'd be useful to sort out if it is that connection or something else.

Henrivonsteen
Aspirant
Aspirant
OK, I was "fundamentally incorrect." I meant using a computer and not the app. 🙄

Camera distance from the base can't be the problem. The whole system goes offline. Even moved all four cameras to right next to the base station. Does not help.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrivonsteen wrote:
 The whole system goes offline. 

That sounds like the base station.  What LED status do you see when the problem occurs?  https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

Perhaps contact https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Henrivonsteen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good day again Sir. Yes it definitely is the base station. The moment I access the app the system goes offline. The base station light turns from blue to orange. It is intermittent in that it only happens say 70% of the time. After anything from 30 seconds to sometimes minutes the system comes back online, and I am able to view the footage. Light t rn back to blue on the base station. (After the latest app update the time it takes to get online seems to be reduced,but it still happens) I have tried to contact arlo support, after a few days I just receive an email telling me that my case had been closed, even though the issue remains. Please see the screenshot. I have not been able to access my. Arlo from a computer as yet.
Screenshot_20191217-122903_Arlo.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Henrivonsteen wrote:
Good day again Sir. Yes it definitely is the base station. The moment I access the app the system goes offline. 

That is a bit odd, since normally the system is always connected to the Arlo cloud (whether the app is running or not).

I suggest contacting support:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx