Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo no longer automatically record video when motion is detected

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello all,

This is the 2nd in a month that Arlo has stopped the auto-recording when motion is detected. Specifically:

- Motion is detected by camera (orange man)

- No recording takes place upon motion detection

- Live feed works

- Manually recording works

- ISP and internet speeds have not changed

- Locations of cameras have not changed

- Setting has not changed (armed)

- I switched off/on system, did not resolve the issue.

- The auto-record stopped working at March 14, 2015 at 3.30pm PST specifically.

- I contacted Arlo Support via ticketing system. Waiting to hear back.

Curious: I know other users have encounted that issue (see community topic "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server". However, I don't know if users who are on the monthly plan encounter this issue. If anyone knows, that would be interesting to know. Thank you! I am on the free plan btw.

Background info:

- Earlier this month I was getting the error message "There was a problem establishing a connection ..."

- This time, there is no error message (so far anyway).

- System was purchased in December and set up in February 15 2016.

- First such error was identified March 1, 2016 and was operating again March 3, 2016. For this instance, I contacted Arlo support via chat and ticketing system. The system became operating again without confirmation or communication from Arlo so I don't know what was done to fix.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Lotsa possibilities here. For starters, try creating new modes and rules and see if that helps. If that fails, try removing a camera and re-sync it. Will it then record? If so, try the remove and re-sync on all cameras. If not, a factory reset might be needed.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nabbie,

Did you receive push notifications or e-mail alert notifications when you saw the amber motion detection indicator?

Are getting the expected behavior now? (push/e-mail alerts and library content when motion is detected).

JamesC

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for responding. When camera detects motion, there is no notification. I know it detects motion because I tested it, and I can see the icon turning orange. However, no recording takes place and no notification is pushed or emailed.

In response to earlier response: I already did the switch off/on of base and cameras as well as re-sync. This did not fix it. Similarly, when I had the same issue earlier this month, this approach did not fix the issue either. Can you please advise whether you experienced the same issue and the on/off+resync fixed it?

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Also, I forgot to include: I also troubleshoot the settings to see whether arm/disarm, and play around with the settings would resolve the issue. It did not.

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

The system seems to be operating again as I got a new auto-record at 12.19pm PST today. 

What's concerning is: None of the troubleshooting I did resolve the issue at the time. Although I contacted Arlo Support on both occasions, they have not advised of the root cause or the fix. Actually, they have not advised that they fixed it so for all I know, the system coming back could have nothing to do with Arlo Support working on the issue. As of earlier today, their counsel was "reboot the system", which is a poor answer to get after waiting 4 days for a response.

I have no idea why the system stops for a few days and comes back up by itself. I am trying to track whether this occurs at regular cadence. I am also curious to know whether the plan (free vs $) makes a difference to the continuity of service.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nabbie,

I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if you experience this behavior in the future!

JamesC

BungalowCamera
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nabbie.  I've run into the same problem where the camera stops sending alerts and stops recording when motion is detected.  In my case I've found that going into the Arlo app and modifying and saving the "armed" mode seems to reset the mode and the systems starts working again.  In my case i use a schedule mode whcih is linked to the Armed mode.  I don't know if it's related to automatic updates to the firmware or something else.  It's a bit frustrating since you don't know if the system is working properly or there are no notifications to be recieved. 

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for the input, as always, very much appreciated.

I did try changing the mode to see if it would trigger it to come back again (i.e. from scheduled to off to armed), and it did not work at the time. It is good counsel though and I am sure it is a good troubleshooting for some instances but for this particular issue, it did not trigger the system to restart auto-recording.

As this is the 2nd time this issue has happened, I've been trying to identify whether there was any similar event or pattern that may have triggered the system to stop. I just remembered earlier today that (if my memory serves me right!) when both times the system stopped, it was in the process of auto-recording back to back videos. As in: there was so much activity/motion for an extnded period of time, that the camera recorded 10s videos every minute (pretty much) for about 8 to 10 minutes. Again, if i recall correctly, I believe the same thing was happening when it stopped the first time. Maybe it overheats and needs a few days to recover?! 

I am tempted to test that assumption but I figured I might as well wait for the next time it happens. (Well, hopefully there is no next time!)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Overheating could be an issue but that would point to the need for a replacement unit.  Also, waiting for days to recover from it would be amazing - recovery should be a short time or not at all.  I've recorded back-to-back videos with no issues.  Unless you've stuck the base in an enclosed place, heat should not be an issue.

On a different point, you previously asked about the difference between paid vs. free plans.  While I haven't used a paid plan, I've had no issues being on the free one.  Despite unproven speculation by some grousers here, there's no evidence whatsoever that you're being forced into upgrading plans.

If your issue continues, it may be time for a trouble ticket for RMA.  Others here have had problems that had them swearing at the system only to have the base replaced months later and having full functionality with no problems.  Just something to keep in mind.

floabn
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

Your response is totally unacceptable.  Not only wasn't Nabbie's issue resolved, but you provided no useful information as to why the issue occured and how to prevent it from occuring in the future.  I am now having the same problem and have looked in this forum for the official word from Netgear as to how to resolve this issue, and since you have provided nothing, I have nothing.  This is very frustrating.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there was no information provided, it's also possible there was none to provide or that JamesC didn't have access to it.  There have been occasional such reports with no known cause nor resolution. Since it's cloud-based, all we can do is guess at the cause. I seriously doubt Netgear is going to comment on server issues, some of which are Amazon's.  Sometimes stuff happens...