Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo missing the action in the recording

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CB62707
Initiate
Initiate

Just set up the wirless Arlo system.  Camera and base software updated.  But these recordings are worthless.  I get multiple recordings of absolutely no movement.  I get the tail end of a car in only the first second or two of recording.  I get people walking away from the door but not walking up my sidewalk coming to the door.  I can even go up and down my own driveway myself and the recording doesn't even show my vehicle (if it even recognizes me drivng up or down my driveway at all and starts a recording at all).  

These offer absolutely no security.  The thief or vandals could come and go and I'd have NO decent video to show the police for faces or license plate numbers.  

I've tried adjusting the sensitivity up to the 90's.  I've also tried increasing the video recording time (which it lets me "save" but never follows it's own rules and does what is in the settings...for example I set one rule that when motion is detected in the driveway not only should it record that motion but at the same time start the camera that would see them walking up to my door so I can get them coming to the door instead of their backs as they leave the door).  It seems to want to only do 10 seconds even though I have increased recording times to 30 or 60 seconds.

But nothing works.  Doing a search on here gets a lot of hits for people complaining about the same thing but Arlo does not fix the problem.  It looks like I may be joining the masses and returning this junk since it is useless.  

We were gone and I got a notice that someone was in my unattached garage.  But when I looked at the video, all it showed was that the big bay door was open (it was shut when we left).  It did not show anyone entering the side door of the garage to go over to that bay to open the door.  It did not show the door going up.  It just showed the bay door fully open.  

These cameras do not record anything fast enough to catch a criminal.  In all the posts I read, I didn't see any solutions to this problem.  If Arlo staff responded, it was just canned answers to reposition the cameras.  Well we've tried several positions and they are worthless.  

Is there anyone that has found a way to get these cameras to start recording fast enough to catch the action?  There should be plenty of time to catch the motion of someone walking up the 15 feet of sidewalk to get to my door instead of just catching their backs as they are almost to the end of the sidewalk and ready to walk around the corner.  I have a 400 ft driveway.  The camera can "see" all the way to the end but it cannot catch and record anyone driving up the driveway towards my house.  If I'm lucky I might see the tail end of the car as it exits the camera view but most of the time it doesn't get any action at all.  

Oh...and the wireless signal is supposed to reach about 300 feet but when the bay doors of the unattached garage are shut the camera is always offline (and the garage is only about 110 feet away).  Again, totally worthless if a thief was to enter the garage and start leaving with all the tools.

Is there anything that can be done to make these cameras actually record the action on time?

1 REPLY 1