Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo extend the range for the system

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
eugkim
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was wondering if there was any way to extend the range for the system. I have a whole house mesh system (Velop). I moved the Arlo base to a place where it would be in the middle of 2 cameras. Unfortunately, the signal is weak on one of the cameras. I was hoping to add 2 more cameras, but I know that the one area won't work. I was hoping that, by connecting to the mesh system instead of my main router, Arlo could use the wifi signal of the mesh to extend the range; unfortunately, I think it only uses the mesh to access the internet. Is there a way to fix this? I can't imagine that this hasn't been an issue, as my 2 cameras aren't that far apart.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the cameras are locked into using only the base, no home WiFi system by itself will make a difference. Use of a second (or third) base positioned optimally for the subject cameras is the only way to expand the system. If there are satellites in use for your network that have Ethernet ports, use those. Otherwise, a powerline or WiFi extender will do the job.

eugkim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a system that's like the powerline and better than an extender. It has a base that's attached to the Comcast modem/router, and 2 separate nodes that are placed throughout the house. My Arlo base unit is connected to one of the nodes in an upstairs bedroom that is positioned between the 2 cameras. They're not very far away, but there's only 1 bar signal on each.

I've checked the reviews on Amazon, and some people report huge range for the Arlo. Mine is dismal. Frankly, I think that if I have to get more than one base unit for a house, I need to think of something else to use.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What is your house construction?  That can make a big difference. For instance, stucco surfaces usually use a wire mesh to hold the stucco and will block the signal significantly.

eugkim
Aspirant
Aspirant

The house has cedar shake siding. It's 4000 square feet with high ceilings (12 foot) on the first floor. However, the cameras and the base are on the second floor.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What kind of line of sight is between the base and cameras? Is there another 2.4GHz wireless device nearr the base?  Some folks have found that moving the base away from the router (or whatever network device is used for the Ethernet connection) helps. What happens if you move the cameras closer to the base? If they have to be very close, it may be a weak WiFi section in the base and might need replacement. You can swap at the store if new enough or open a case with support here for a possible replacement.

eugkim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it is sitting next to one of the nodes in my home wifi mesh system. That said, both cameras are within 2 rooms of the base unit. The furthest camera might be 35 feet away, the other 25 feet.

Unfortunately, I purchased the Arlo system a number of months ago. It was sitting in the closet at my shore house until I finally decided to install it about a week ago. Netgear sent me some suggestions - reset the cameras and re-sync, change the wireless channels. I'll have to try their suggestions next time I go. If these don't work, I wouldn't hold my breath that they would swap out the base. As I said earlier, it seems that most people have pretty good range with their Arlo systems.

Thanks again.