Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo draining batteries. When changing battery, doesn't show full 100%.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kevinjjohnson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 Arlo cameras that use regular batteries (not rechargeable). I don't leave them on all the time because batteries are expensive. I only turn them on when I want to look at my house for security reasons.

After a few months, everything was fine. Then I started getting notices that I had 2 Percent left on the batteries. When I went to change the batteries that didn't work. In fact, I was able to change batteries and immediately they read "45 percent" not 100 percent.

I called Arlo at least 12 to 14 times to get replacements. It's very difficult and time consuming. But I may be getting two replacements. In the meantime the third one is now doing the same thing.

What I want to know is why is this happening? If it's a quirk in this model, I want to get an Arlo model that works. Any insight or suggestion would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a certified rechargeable battery set by Tenergy listed in the accessories for your camera here. Yes, this is for the original wirefree cameras that use 4 CR123 batteries.

The only chance of swapping systems is with the store you purchased from. Otherwise, selling the existing system and purchase of a newer model would be your only choice.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

These cameras use 4 batteries but only in sets of 2 - front and back. The camera switches between the sets to get as much life out of them as possible. In fact, you can run the camera only 2 batteries. The issue of changing batteries and only seeing about 50% (+/-) is due to one set not having contact with the battery door. To prevent this from happening, only lightly place the batteries in their slots and let the battery door do the final pushing into place. Sometimes the battery cases are just a bit bigger than the slot and can get stuck.

Kevinjjohnson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Guru,

Thanks a ton for your response!!! However, I have tried replacing batteries, opening and shutting the door, etc., and it was suggested by one Customer Service rep for Arlo to use rechargeable batteries, even though this model isn't supposed to use them. (So I haven't tried rechargeable).

BTW it is the Arlo Wirefree Camera (VMC3030), so is that the model you're talking about?

I am suspecting it has something to do with when the software is updated. Perhaps because my cameras might be "off" during the night when they are supposed to be "on" so the updates can happen? Although it seems like the update would be through the Base Station?

I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. Arlo has agreed to let me return these, but they want me to pay for shipping, which I do not find acceptable. I've been waiting to hear from a supervisor for two weeks, asking several times to speak to one, being promised one will call in two days. It never happens.

What I'd really like to do is replace the Arlo Wirefree Camera(VMC3030) with a better model, but they say they will not allow that, which is the reason I am hoping a supervisor will be able to allow this to happen. I'm willing to pay the price difference.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a certified rechargeable battery set by Tenergy listed in the accessories for your camera here. Yes, this is for the original wirefree cameras that use 4 CR123 batteries.

The only chance of swapping systems is with the store you purchased from. Otherwise, selling the existing system and purchase of a newer model would be your only choice.