Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo did not record during burglary

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Maxbtlckr1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the arlo system approximately six months ago.  One on the front porch, the other three in the house.  A couple of Saturdays ago it appears the cameras were disabled around 9:30 in the morning and the house was burglarized and the three in the house were stolen along with most anything of value.  The front porch camera was not stolen.  The reason I think they were disabled is that the one on the front porch did not record several movements that I know happened between 9:30 and 11:00.  When I returned at around 1:00 the camera on the front porch started recording movement again.  The other three as I mentioned were stolen without any record of any movement during the burglary.  I am at a loss as to why the system so completely failed me and to be quite honest I spent to much money on them to only have a false sense of security.  Could someone hack into the system if they had my Wi-Fi password?  I am at a loss as to what the reason for this complete failure was.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what may have happened?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No real suggestions here but the only way someone could use your WiFi would be to access the router configuration to disable the base from getting an IP address. Possible but not likely. A power or Internet outage would be more likely. If it was power, use of a UPS/battery backup for your modem, router and base would prevent such a loss. Internet loss is different but could be mitigated by using a us drive in a Pro base. None of that helps right now.

There's lots of possible reasons but trying to figure​out what happened could be difficult.

Maxbtlckr1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate the information you provided me.  What worries me is the fact that you said there could be many causes.  Unless I can feel some assurance that I can prevent this from happening in the future, I have no reason to use or recommend Arlo to anyone who asks me.  Do you have any sugggestions how I may make the system more foolproof?  Thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, nothing is foolproof.... like control, it is only an illusion  🙂

Are the Arlos perfect , no... but they do work well when set up properly.  As to why yours didn't function, I can't tell either.

But what I can tell you is I don't rely on the cameras only and also have another interior alarm system... what they do is really fill the gaps in some security systems. Or at least provide some sort of security if you have none at all.

As to make it more fool proof, put cameras where they may not be so visible, use locations for placement where a person cannot get near the camera from the side to remove without recording,  use "nested recording rules" ; where one camera senses motion, another records ( works real well )... any camera motion, like removal, sets off another camera or two  to record

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------