Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
um_chili
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all, 

I have four Arlo cameras stationed around my house, and two of them are far enough from the router that they cannot get a signal. When I sync these cameras, a green square appears on my home page with the message, "Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection." 

I recently bought a Netgear WiFi range extender (N300) to help with the weakness of the internet signal in the part of the house near those two cameras. For wifi generally, it works great. But it hasn't helped the connectivity of the cameras. I think this is because the extender creates a new network that is separate from the one the router and the cameras are connected to. Any suggestions about how to use the range extender to get the two remote cameras working? Thanks.

Note: I've reset the cameras and made sure they all have fresh batteries. I've also done the factory reset on the base station. I'm 90% sure the weakness of the signal due to remoteness is the issue for the two cameras.

4 REPLIES 4
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Your range extender won't help at all, as the Arlo base station creates its own wireless network that can't be extended with a range extender.

I see four options:

1. Mount your base station as high as possible on the wall or ceiling and try different locations and orientations. See if that enables a connection to your remote cameras.
  2. Try to place your base station in a more central location in order to get better connectivity to your remote cameras. This will certainly require a longer Ethernet cable from your router to your base station.
  3. Get a Wi-Fi bridge and a second base station. You connect one bridge access point to your router, the other to your second base station. Place the second base station such that it reaches your remote cameras.
  4. Get a Netgear D7000 router. This is the only router that is compatible with Arlo. It is said this router is a bit stronger than the Arlo base station. This might work in connecting to your remote cameras. Make sure you get the router from a place with a liberal return policy in case it doesn't work.

How far are your unconnected cameras away from your base station? What kind of walls do you have in your house? Thick concrete walls with steel armor?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Note that the WiFi extender can allow you to reposition the base into a more favorable location for all cameras.

I don't know that a bridge is needed as long as a WiFi extender or long cable will suffice for either the single base or a second one.  Simplifying the network is always a goal.

Finally, it's the R7000 router that's compatible, not the D7000.  If that's the route chosen, let us know since you need beta firmware to provide the Arlo capability.  It's freely available but not on the download site.

um_chili
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks all for the info. Looks like the easiest solution would be to reposition the base station, but that's just not possible due to a lot of different logistical challenges.

Here's a somewhat interesting development, though. While initially the cameras could not sync up to the base station, in the past couple days they are syncing up, though very the signal appears weak. This at least allows me to see live video of the areas they are showing, and I can also take snapshots and video. But these cameras don't seem to be effectively detecting motion and automatically videoing it, as the cameras with the stronger signals do. Is there any relationship between the strength of the signal the camera receives and its ability to do motion detection?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Likely.  Weak signals cause lots of issues, including poor battery life.  Can you use a WiFi extender to more easily move the base around?