Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
gnarkilljboy
Guide
Guide
Bought these last year, after my car was broken into. Wish I would have returned them. Went away for a family vacation, and set one camera at the front door, and one at the back. Both cameras lost connection shortly after we left. When this happens, I have to manually sync them back up to the The base, which means taking them down, and bringing them within 3 feet of the station.

This happens, at the least, 2 times a week. The base station is well within range of the cameras.

Battery life is horrible, with new batteries lasting only a month. I even went and bought the rechargeable batteries, and they don't last very long at all. A week, if I'm lucky.

Is there anything I can do to stop the cameras from CONSTANTLY losing connection, or am I better off to just toss them into the trash?
75 REPLIES 75
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I'd offer to buy them off you but shooting them with a pellet gun sounds more worthwhile than some measly dollars Cat LOL

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Everything has a 1 year warranty as well as the possibility of swapping at the store. There's no reason to live with issues when the resolution can be so easy.

Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice

'Return to store' - really this is the best we can get in terms of a fix?

With the number of 'Me Too' responses in this thread suggestions that multiple devices are failing after xxx months at the same time across multiple locations or we are all suddenly experiencing 2.4Ghz interference is ridiculous,  many of us have had stable systems upto approximately 2 months ago, which would suggest that something changed either back at the host or with a firmware update.

Like many I thought Arlo was a good solution but the lack of visibility into the system when issues arise or Netgear's total lack of engagement with the user community is both disappointing and a concern. I also now wonder how robust their management of my sensitive and very private video footage is as there seems to be a fairly cavalier approach to managing genuine issues when they arise (fix your interference, exchange the camera, reboot the base station etc).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Delboyii wrote:

'Return to store' - really this is the best we can get in terms of a fix?

If it's a hardware problem (always a possibility), it's the fastest way to potentially resolve the issue. Do you really want to keep battling a harrdware problem or would you rather get it fixed?

Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Like any sane individual I certainly do not want to waste either my time or patience chasing a physical problem.

But, are you really suggesting that multiple device's have failed at the same time and exhibit the same issue as not only myself but others have observed in the past two months?

As noted in a previous response, if the number of failures being reported are all related to hardware faults then the intgrity of the entire Arlo platform would have to be questioned.  Modern, static electronic devices simply do not produce these number of apparent 'hardware' failures, particulary when it can be assumed that the majority of the components are commidty items or technologies used in numerous devices.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You also have to understand that the posts here are likely swamped by the installed base of systems. Mine, and many others here, simply takes a licking and keeps on ticking. While there have been numerous complaints here, in the grand scope of even this forum it's not a huge number. It sucks when it's you but things happen.

Nobody ever said Arlo or Netgear is perfect but then none of the competitors are, either.

Rickhid
Guide
Guide
It would be nice if someone from Arlo would actually comment and let community know if this was an issue and if it’s being addressed. Either way it’s sucks that their cameras crap out after. 2years.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have 2 cameras purchased Feb 2016 that work fine. Just because you may have an issue doesn't mean much. A sample of a few is statistically insignificant, even if it sucks for you.

Rickhid
Guide
Guide
That’s that this whole post is about, other peoples cameras are crapping out too not just mine. Anyhow just wait yours’ll crap out too they’re coming due.
Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I can now categorically state that Netgear have a SW issue in regards to the Arlo Pro v1 camera battery status.

Following the last recharge of my four cameras which had unusually draiend in < 2 weeks, three of my four cameras showed a 50% charge after only two days from within the iOS app. Two days later these same cameras are still showing a 50% charge which follows both a base station cold reboot and battery removal on at least one camera.

The issue is that the when using the MyArlo web access (Windows & IE) the inital battery status reporting agreed with the iOS app but yesterday the web reporting changed to < 25% (amber) status whilst I was using the device manager for two of the three cameras.

Right now Arlo iOS app shows 3 cameras at 50% charge, IE web access shows two at < 25% which I think confirms there is something fundamentally wrong with the reporting which is what many of us have been saying for several weeks.

or is this also considered to be another 'hardware' fault and I should go through the pain of returning the cameras under warranty knowing that it is a pointless exercise!

Something changed in the past two months and as Rick suggests all we need is Netgear to acknowledge that they are investigating or at least aware. If they do not monitor the content of this forum then what is the point in them maintaining it.

To those that state these issues are affecting only a minority, I would a)like to see the evidence that supports that and b)warn that I was also in the 'no issues' category for 8 months and suddenly start encountering both the disconnects and battery drain issues, with absolutely no changes occuring at my end, including interference, acts of God or any other obscure activity. The only thing that may have changed is the software/firmware which is why we need Netgear to provide some insight into what changed.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Delboyii wrote:

Well I can now categorically state that Netgear have a SW issue in regards to the Arlo Pro v1 camera battery status.

To those that state these issues are affecting only a minority, I would a)like to see the evidence that supports that 

Isn't the onus on you to show that it's a problem that affects EVERY Pro camera? I mean, you 'categorically stated' it. Isn't the person who makes the assertion the one responsible for providing the evidence?

Keep in mind that this is a user forum with occasional input from Netgear staff. If you seek any specific clarification, open a ticket with support

Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice

'Isn't the onus on you to show that it's a problem that affects EVERY Pro camera'

It would be IF I had stated it impacts every camera, but as you will see there is no reference in my posts to this effect. 

I understand this is a community forum but it is sponsored and managed by Netgear. As is common within the industry, it is therefore reasonable to assume they would review and respond to community concerns.

In regard to the impact this issue is having, have a look at the number of posts related to battery status and disconnects, many from individuals that are stating the system use to work fine.

If Netgear decided to market a security product that is effectively a 'black box' for security reasons then that is a perfectly understandable approach. What is not acceptable is that changes are made to existing systems that appear to have a negative impact with no recognition of the issue being made by Netgear in their very public forum.

I personaly like the Arlo solution, which is a perfect fit in my environment but cannot accept that the issues some of us our now experiencing are related to multiple hardware failures or environmental changes, which effectively leaves us with at least the perception a software or configuration change occured which had an adverse impact for some customers.

I can raise individual incident tickets for my issues but first thought I would try the forum, as that appears to be of little assistance in this instance I may be forced to resort to the time consuming and probably pointless exercise of going through the process to have an issue fixed that someone else appears to have created.

I might add that with over 30 years experience working in the IT & Networking industry I fully understand the challenges this type of problem creates for Netgear. But it also means I understand  why customer concerns raised in a public forum should be addressed and not ignored.

Rickhid
Guide
Guide
NO! We’re the customer, absolutely no onus to prove anything. Arlo should be fortunate were posting this so they have visibility. They should also be more proactive and and provide feedback to support their customers. Who they are now likely to lose. Arlo can also now expect to receive poor reviews for their products on amazon.
rjwalters55
Tutor
Tutor

When any of my cameras start disconnecting they are past the warrantty period.  The cameras that start failing first are the higher use cameras and they usually disconnect at night with the night vision LEDs stuck ON which drains the batteries real fast. It is like after a certain number of uses they start failing. Like I said before I have put a lot of money into my Arlo system and I am now done putting money into it, so my Arlo system will slowly go away as I take the cameras out of the system as they fail.

Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice
One of my cameras that was reporting 25% after 4 days in a very low traffic area has now issued the low alert message. This system is only 8 months old and operating in a reasonably stable temperature environment with only 1 or 2 detections occurring each week so I see no reason to suspect multiple battery failures.

Browser shows battery drained whilst iOS app still shows 50%. Like you I am about to give up and let the system die despite the fact that in Australia it is an expensive solution.

My larger concern now is if this is an indication of Netgear’s general management then I am uncomfortable trusting them to maintain the security on the video data they are collecting from inside and outside my home. This data would be invaluable in the wrong hands.

Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice
That’s interesting, my response that explained why I disagree with your assertion that the onus is on myself has disappeared.. maybe I made a comment in it that was not liked, which would at least demonstrate someone is listening!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Really? I just saw it.

DPanattoni
Guide
Guide

Just thought I'd update this thread since I initiated it. Since the last upgrade, my three problem cameras have been functioning normal (like they have for the past two years). So, maybe a problem was found and has been resolved. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Dukeofdelish
Tutor
Tutor

Sounds promising, DPanattoni. Please keep us updated. I've wasted a LOT of batteries already, but if something may have been fixed I'll try again.

Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice

DPanattoni wrote:

Just thought I'd update this thread since I initiated it. Since the last upgrade, my three problem cameras have been functioning normal (like they have for the past two years). So, maybe a problem was found and has been resolved. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I really hope there has been an update and the system returns to its original, stable operation.

I know where to check the firmware versions on the controller and cameras but where do I find a reference for the latest version released? Also, is there any mechanism for identifying when an upgrade has failed?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Release Notes section here has the information of the various updates, both firmware and app.

Rickhid
Guide
Guide
Looks like arlo listener to complaints as recent firmware update seems to have solved the issue, at least short term.
Delboyii
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks as I had missed that section
Bill7337
Guide
Guide

I would like to respondm to everyone who was kind enough to respond to my complaint about the Arlo system constantly disconnecting, but I am so disgusted with the fact I spent $500 for a system that worked for about 8 months.  Then I was going through batteries so fast I invested in rechargeables.  No too inconvient for the cameras inside my house, but it was exhausting to constantly change the batteries outside.  I couldn't return them as I purchased them from Amazon and the return time was exhausted.   I found a solution to it all.

Solution:  Scrap the Arlo system as it was causing heart palpitations.  Arlo is the worst investment I have ever made.  It is a scam to promote that system.  I purchased a couple of interior plug in cameras from Reolink.  GREAT CAMERA SYSTEM.  I put the battery operated camera outside and the batteries last many times longer than the Arlo system.  Check them out.  It's worth it.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bill7337,

What type (brand) of rechargeable batteries are you using? How much activity are the cameras seeing/recording?

JamesC