Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo cameras didn't detect motion when burglar appeared three times

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
watsontcbc
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is Really for ARLO, but I hope the community will participate. 

I have 4 Arlo cams - the original ones - set up in my yard 1) at a gate facing the street , 2) above the walk from the street, 3) at the side (main) entry, and 4) at the back. The 1 & 2 street and gate cameras cover the same space roughly 90 degrees apart, covering the same entry walk that is 17 ft long from gate to street. They both trigger for and capture people walking up and back on  the walk, and entering at the gate and will capture them if they pause on the walk and then move again. They both are set at 80% motion sensitivity and have night vision turned on. Both are set up with after-market AC connection that has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years, so there is no risk of outage due to battery failure, and our clocks did not indicate any power outage that night. Both trigger day and night not only for people, but with every car driving by, rain falling, insects crossing their field, cat-size animals and sometimes things that can't even be distinguished. BUT: they HAVE NOT captured ANY video of the little thieves stealing my solar powered garden lights at night, yet continue to work during the hight and following days with no apparent problem. There are 2 solar garden lights 4-5 feet from the street and another pair 12-13 feet from the street - putting them well in within the range of BOTH cameras. After each instance I have adjusted the cameras to improve coverage and trigger sensitivity to a level that worked in my tests. After the second theft, I actually tied the replacement solar lights down with wire, threading the wire through each fixture, so at the very least the little brute would have to WORK at removing them, giving these lame cameras time to trigger. None of this has enabled the cameras to capture this little creep. I'm beginning to wonder if someone has devised some Arlo-defeating camouflage, or some movement technique to foil them. In any case, I am not putting another dime into this system (nor putting out any more solar garden lights!) until I get some answers from Arlo. I've attached a day and night image from each camera to show the coverage. In the last image you can see the 4 little pinpoints of light where the solar lights WERE.

Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on? How about you, ARLO?

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.07.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.05.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.06.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 2.05.52 PM.png

1 REPLY 1
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi watsontcbc,

Have you tried the following troubleshooting steps for motion detection to see if that helps?