Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Miraz
Follower
Follower

Dear Arlo team,

I just received my new Arlo camera with base station and was excited to install it.

Everything was easy and I was very happy.

Then I tried to install an USB storage to record all videos. Unfortunately then I found out that I can't record if I don’t have the Arlo Pro base.

Way does the Arlo base have USB ports, when there is no recording possible?

Is there any way to record also with this base station Or I need to return the camera and the base?

Regards

Stefan

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No way to re order on the original base and was never stated to do so. Personally, I'd return to the store and swap for a Pro system. You won't be disappointed. Be sure to remove all devices from Settings, My Devices before you do so.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

A lot of devices have USB ports on them that aren't used. Many of them say "For service use" or "May be activated in a future firmware" etc

We can only speculate why Netgear have chosen to leave these non-functional on the original base but I have never seen them suggest the original base has local storage capability and only the Arlo Pro base does.

If you want local recording, you will need an Arlo Pro base. Also, be aware that if you lose internet and there are videos stored on local storage, you won't be able to access them from the Arlo app or web interface. You'll need to unplug it from the base and plug it into a computer. Additionally, people have struggled to play the files but we know VLC can play them.

I guess it serves as a good lesson for all of us to check the specs of anything we buy BEFORE we buy it so we aren't disappointed

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I remember being surprised to find USB ports on the Arlo Base Station and thought nifty until I quickly found out they were non-functional, but nothing lost since I wasn't expecting local storage,

But nothing lost.  I first downloaded the recordings I wanted each morning until another user mentioned having a script why he thankfully passed on that I tailored a bit that will download all previous days and current days recordings as well as change the file names to a regular timestamp as well as adding cam name into the file name.  Not as good as having USB local storage but not much less either.

JJ74
Guide
Guide

"I guess it serves as a good lesson for all of us to check the specs of anything we buy BEFORE we buy it so we aren't disappointed"

You were always going to be disappointed after buying any Arlo products as they are massively flawed and overpriced. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

One should always carefully check the specs of any product you buy.

I think the statement about Arlo products is unfair.  Yes some units have or develop issues and I'm among those that found initial contact with tech support not to be as good as I'd like to see but once I was elevated to L2 I couldn't ask for better techies.

As for being overpriced, that's a relative thing. There are more expensive camera systems and there are less expensive, like in most product areas.

JJ74
Guide
Guide

Have you ever checked the batteries on an Arlo Camera after the app reports them as being flat? I ran a volt meter on each of them. Two were indeed flat and two were just under the 3v they were supposed to be.

Now imagine thousands of Arlo owners throwing away expensive, environmentally damaging batteries that are still fit for purpose because the Arlo app said they were flat..

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Since the Arlo uses 2x2 batteries in parallel your experience suggests one pair wasnt seated properly (or was in wrong) so your can just used the one set.

Btw, using rechargeables means no more battery garbage (and save money)

JJ74
Guide
Guide

Nice try but as you are well aware its impossible to seat the batteries incorrectly.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Other posts have shown people have done the impossible.

Most common cause it seems they push one or more batteries down jamming it/them too far down so a top contact isn't bade.  Right way is to let closing the battery door rather and let that seat the batteries.

JJ74
Guide
Guide

So you're saying that even though the camera works 100%, the batteries were forced in so that contact wasn't made?

I hate to shatter your illusions but that isn't physically possible. Remove connection to one battery and the device doesn't work, which is expected... 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

wrong.  The Arlo uses 2x2 batteries in parallel so you could run the cam off two batteries as long as they're in connected slots.  Even if fresh, they would then show 50%.

JJ74
Guide
Guide

I think you'll find the camera won't connect ...

manfredz
Hero
Hero

no sense wasting more forum space. Let's agree to disagree and leave it there.

JJ74 wrote:

I think you'll find the camera won't connect ...

JJ74
Guide
Guide

Wise choice.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
At the risk of beating a dead horse, this is exactly what has happened to me. Pushing the batteries down caused one or two to stick in their holes so contact wasn't made with the battery door. I now simply place the batteries in the slots and use the door to push them into place.

YMMV.