Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
63GBPackerfan
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo Netgear router is dead. No power even after reset and changing outlets. What are my options? I purchased the system 2/3/2016.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@63GBPackerfan

It could be a dead base station or it could be a defective power adapter. If you happen to have another 12 volt power adapter from some other device and it can fit into the power socket then try that and see if that helps. 

Are any LEDs lit at all?

Also, try holding the power button on your base station for 10 seconds and see if that does naything for you.

If not then I would assume the unit is indeed dead. I am afraid it is out of warranty by this time but new base stations are not too terribly expensive. If you do decide to purchase a new base station, I would recommend buying a Pro model, (it will work just fine with your cameras, assuming you have the original Wire Freee camera system), in addition you will get a base station with a siren built in.

If you want to get out as cheaply as possible the original base stations and systems are on sale everywhere as I believe they are being discontinued.

Brian

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
brh
Master
Master

@63GBPackerfan

It could be a dead base station or it could be a defective power adapter. If you happen to have another 12 volt power adapter from some other device and it can fit into the power socket then try that and see if that helps. 

Are any LEDs lit at all?

Also, try holding the power button on your base station for 10 seconds and see if that does naything for you.

If not then I would assume the unit is indeed dead. I am afraid it is out of warranty by this time but new base stations are not too terribly expensive. If you do decide to purchase a new base station, I would recommend buying a Pro model, (it will work just fine with your cameras, assuming you have the original Wire Freee camera system), in addition you will get a base station with a siren built in.

If you want to get out as cheaply as possible the original base stations and systems are on sale everywhere as I believe they are being discontinued.

Brian

63GBPackerfan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Totally forgot about holding down reset button for 10 seconds. That fixed it and saved me from buying a new router. Thanks. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

brh wrote:

Brian

What's your source for this, Brian?

brh
Master
Master

@steve_t

Amazon, B&H PhotoVideo and other companies have been running some very good sales on these systems and cameras lately and I have been debating buying a bunch of them at the reduced price but the cost of constantly chaning batteries has kept me from doing so. I don't remember where I read about the systems being discontinued as I do so much reading and researching for devices that will fill the holes in my home security, but I have read that at least twice.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@steve_t

here is a link to the big discount at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Security-System-NETGEAR-Wire-Free/dp/B00P7EVST6

About 1/3 off from the original price.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@steve_t

Here is the link to B&H Photo Video where I purchase all my professional camera gear:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385138-REG/arlo_vms3230c_100nas_vms3230_security_system_with...

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ah right. So not from Netgear. I thought I'd missed something.
Netgear also did this disc deal in September for refurb cameras but they still haven't discontinued the line yet. No telling when it might happen. Anyway, best not to go around saying it will happen unless you have a reliable source.
PS. I wish they would discontinue it because it seems more trouble than it's worth. You'll see I'm always suggesting people get the Pro cameras

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Arlo-Refurbished-Camera-44-off-MSRP-Promo-Price-89-99-Learn-mo...

brh
Master
Master

@steve_t

I understand what you are saying and I won't say it any more, especially here, but I meant it in a good way. I took all my original cameras inside where I only arm them when everyone is away from the house. That way the batteries last forever. Outside I will only Use the Pro models as I can put them on solar panel power and pretty much forget about them. Since the price, at least at these two retailers, (and I might have seen them on sale at Home Depot), if I needed more inside cameras I could have a field day. But currently I want to purchase 2 more Pro cameras with 2 solar panels and maybe 4 of the outdoor lights as soon as they arrive so I will pass on the indoor needs for now. I was simply saying that if someone needed to purchase a replacement base or camera the time is now as if the stores run out, I don't know if they will get restocked.

Brian 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

All good. Thanks for helping so many people. I just wanted to make sure 1) I hadn't missed an announcement that I'm personally looking forward to or 2) misinformation isn't being spread. Keep up the great work