Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo app no longer has options for activity zones.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used to be able to set up activity zones for my cameras but now the option is gone from my app. I have not changed my subscription status, or requested they be removed. Seems like the functionality I originally purchased is now just gone? Any one else seeing this?

19 REPLIES 19
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I used to be able to set up activity zones for my cameras but now the option is gone from my app. I have not changed my subscription status, or requested they be removed. Seems like the functionality I originally purchased is now just gone? Any one else seeing this?

What camera models do  you have?

Do you see "Library" as a menu option in the app?  Or do you see "Feed" and "Dashboard" instead?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

When looking in the Arlo app, under device info the hardware says H10 and I see a library icon at the bottom of the screen. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

When looking in the Arlo app, under device info the hardware says H10

Unfortunately that is not the camera model - lots of different cameras share the same "H" codes.  These are hardware revisions within a model.

One way to find the model is to open the support center in the app, and then select the camera.  Scroll down to the product field.

Another way is to open the camera and remove the battery - there is a label inside.  If the camera doesn't open, then the model is printed either on or near the rubber seal at the charging port.  It's low-contrast and small, so it can be tricky to find.

@Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I see a library icon at the bottom of the screen. 

I've been on "Feed" for a while, so I can't verify what you are seeing.   But you should still have the option to set activity zones (assuming you have a subscription, or cameras on AC power).

Are you looking in both the browser (my.arlo.com on a PC) and the app?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm seems like an odd design choice to have a hardware section in the device info that does not give the hardware info for the device. VMC5040 is found elsewhere in the app where you had specified.

I don’t believe I have a subscription for anything. I have never paid Arlo for a subscription. The original draw to the cameras years ago was they are wireless with the ability to self host my storage, leaving me subscription free. My trial ran out years ago but I have certainly used activity zones with these cameras since then. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hmm seems like an odd design choice to have a hardware section in the device info that does not give the hardware info for the device. VMC5040 is found elsewhere in the app where you had specified.

I don’t believe I have a subscription for anything. I have never paid Arlo for a subscription. 

The Ultra (and Ultra 2) have always required a paid subscription for cloud storage. 

The subscription for activity zones is a bit more complicated - if you have the cameras connected to AC power, then the camera itself applies the activty zones. That doesn't require a subscription.  But if the cameras are on battery power (or connected so a solar panel) then the activity zones are processed in the Arlo Cloud - and that does require a subscription.

The cameras come with a trial subscription.  In the case of the original Ultra, that was a full year when the product was launched.  It was reduced to 3 months - and more recently to one month.

But even if you don't have the subscription, you should be still be able to create the activity zones - you'll just get a warning about connecting the camera to AC power.  Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing in the camera settings?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

The instructions say to select the gear icon and I should see an option for activity zones. There is no such setting.

IMG_3752.jpeg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you see it when you navigate into video settings?

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_3746.jpeg

IMG_3747.jpeg

Nope. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still seeing this same behavior? 

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Looking into the account I do not see a subscription plan. You can not have activity zones without a subscription. 

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was told in this thread it should not matter if I have a subscription plan and I would just receive a warning. I have previously been able to set up activity zones for this camera and have never paid for a subscription after my trial ran out years ago. Did Arlo remove this functionality from my device to move it behind the subscription plan?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

These are the cameras that can have activity zones while plugged in

If you’re not subscribed to an Arlo plan, you can connect the following cameras to continuous AC power to use Activity Zones:

• Arlo Pro 4
  • Arlo Pro 3
  • Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Camera
  • Arlo Pro 2
  • Arlo Q
  • Arlo Q Plus
  • Arlo Baby

However, you have the Ultra cameras and those do need a subscription for activity zones. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, Ultras have needed a subscription for activity zones for some years.  If I recall correctly, they originally used camera hardware to implement activity zones when on AC power.  But they ran into issues doing that, and removed that feature a long time back.  

I have a subscription, and haven't tried removing my Ultras from the subscription plan recently.  Back when I did try it, it was possible to dismiss the activity zone warning, and still livestream and get local recordings.  

If you are getting the warning, you should be able to delete the zones.  If that isn't possible, then IMO that is a bug.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was that functionality removed from my device and moved behind a subscription plan? @BrookeN 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  the Ultra cameras to have activity zones have needed a subscription for quite some time now. 

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is that a yes?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Is that a yes?

Not really.  

• Activity zones when on battery power have always needed a subscription for your camera.
  • Activity zones without a subscription when on AC power were originally intended to work, but never did.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brooke's post seems to imply there was a time when the feature was active without a subscription as I seem to remember. But I admit I did not keep a "feature journal" where I documented all of the current, promised, and _never delivered_ features for these cameras so I can not be sure. That's why I asked, but I appreciate you chiming in here Stephen while I'm trying to communicate with Arlo support.