Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wireless VMS3130 Bad Connection

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
vabopi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since a few months, the connection between the camera an base station is extremely poor. After 2+ years of impecable performance, without absolutely no change on the system or location, it does not work properly anymore. I resetted the base station several times, changed the (indoors) location of the camera, but it seems that the trouble is the wireless connection indoors, if not the motion detection.

Any suggestions?

Furthermore, since recently, using the iPhone app, when I click on one of the saved videos  it always plays only the last one saved. If I want to play another one, I have to download it and then play it using Photos app. This only afects the IOS app, not the MacOs.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @vabopi

1. "Since a few months, the connection between the camera an base station is extremely poor. After 2+ years of impecable performance, without absolutely no change on the system or location, it does not work properly anymore. I resetted the base station several times, changed the (indoors) location of the camera, but it seems that the trouble is the wireless connection indoors, if not the motion detection.

Any suggestions?"

- Do you have another camera you can test the signal with? Is it possible to switch locations with the trouble camera to see if the issue follows the device.

2. "Furthermore, since recently, using the iPhone app, when I click on one of the saved videos  it always plays only the last one saved. If I want to play another one, I have to download it and then play it using Photos app. This only afects the IOS app, not the MacOs.

Thank you."

-The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

vabopi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer, but no, I have not another camera to try the connection.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Temporarily move the camera to another location for testing.

vabopi
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I did, to alternate locations.

The ideal spot - where it worked flawlessly for over 2yrs - is now a location where the camera does not link to base station anymore. As I wrote before, no changes where made or obstacles whatsoever. It just hapened. A remote change of firmware or sofware perhaps could cause this malfunction?

The next best location, which I am using since that problem, results on recordings only about 60% of the times. Of course this is not satisfactory.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible that a firmware update has changed something to cause this. Of course, other things may be causing it such as interference with the base-camera connection but we have no way of knowing what you or a neighbor has added and/or moved to cause this. There's no final answer from here since we aren't there.

As for the 60% detections, have you increased the motion sensitivity in your rules?

vabopi
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, sensivity is set to max.

I wonder if there is a way to maximize the wi-fi range or power, or adding a repeater?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There two ways to increase the WiFi signal between the base and camera:

1) Reposition the base.

2) Use a second base so the attached cameras have optimal signal strength and quality.

Use of a non-Arlo extender of any sort can't be done since it would compromise the secure link between the camera and servers, not to mention possibly compromising your home network (think IoT issues).