Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like JamesC posted on the big thread about the firmware issues, saying there was a new update and then locked the thread from further replies.

I have two questions:

1 - Why don't I see this update? I still only see 1.12.2.1_2798 from April as the available update for my base station. See attached image.

2 - The relase notes for the new firmware (1.3.319 - weird numbering, looks like a step backwards number-wise) say that it fixes the pixelation issue, but nothing that says it fixes the failure to update firmware issue that many of us are seeing with the 1.12.2.1_2798 firmware update.

222 REPLIES 222
Rueg
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have returned my Arlo Pro three-camera kit to Costco for a refund.  I will continue to watch these support threads to see if anything changes, but as of now I am looking for something non-Arlo.  Here is a list of things that have changed since I purchased my Arlo camera kit:

1. Image quality has gone downhill. Looking at videos – if I wouldn’t have known it was my wife, I would never have been able to ID her.  Resolution has gotten much worse.  When I bought the cameras the image quality was good.  Now, threw updates they have ruined the picture quality.  The night vision has gotten much worse as well.
  2. They removed the preview picture on email alerts (using Microsoft Outlook). These were such a handy feature - to give a quick snapshot of what was going on.  Worked when I bought the cameras, but hasn’t worked since the May 2019 updates.
  3. No low battery alert emails anymore. These used to work, but again seem to have stopped working with the May 2019 updates.
  4. Motion detection is worse. At night, the motion detection now works horribly.  I used to get critters showing up on my cameras.  Now, I see the light that is nearby the Arlo camera turn on – which is triggered by motion, but no Arlo videos anymore.  These used to work in tandem.  I find it funny it doesn’t catch vehicles pulling in and out of our driveway anymore either – it used to.  Camera hasn’t moved.  Again, this also changed with the May 2019 updates.
  5. Alert times have gotten much longer. Used to be I would receive the alert right after motion detection.  Now it sometimes takes a few minutes, sometime 5+, once in a great while an hour+.  Again, this changed during the May 2019 updates.

You need to roll back the May 2019 updates!  These have ruined your security cameras.  Arlo support has not been able to give any useful information about these issues being fixed.  It has been almost 3 months now and no new information.  I feel sorry for the support people, because I am sure they are not the ones doing the coding and making these changes and they have to deal with us angry end-users.  I don’t have much confidence that these issues will ever get fixed.  Most people don’t have an option of returning because they didn’t buy them at Costco.  Shame on you Arlo!  The product that people bought originally is not the same product as of today because you have broken your system through bad updates.

Ferrard
Tutor
Tutor
I cannot believe what a joke the arlo recording quality has become. On live mode the HD quality is fine but when something records the pixelation has made this system useless. When will someone take the responsibility of acknowledging this and put some investment into repairing it rather than trying to upsell their app fluidity.
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

Rueg is exactly right on all counts.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Spot on Rueg. Arlo's execs obviously approve of the may update and are sticking to it. I'm certain all of the faults mentioned are related to cloud storage in one way or another. Arlo's choice to downgrade their product is nothing less than pure greed. At Arlo the almighty dollar is much more important  than a quality product and costomer satisfaction. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@parsrgood wrote:

Spot on Rueg. Arlo's execs obviously approve of the may update and are sticking to it. I'm certain all of the faults mentioned are related to cloud storage in one way or another. Arlo's choice to downgrade their product is nothing less than pure greed. At Arlo the almighty dollar is much more important  than a quality product and costomer satisfaction. 

^^This is the answer right here. We've all gone from "oh they must not realize their firmware update messed up our cameras, so we'll tell them and they'll fix it!" ... to this.

Jech19
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cameras were working fine until the update..Now they are not working properly.... They are now worthless...It's been 4 months and Arlo Development has addressed any of the issues... Either they don't care or don't  know how to fix it.. For my experience in working in hardware/software development company .. if they haven't fixed after 30days-60days they are not going to fix it.. I have been on the phone with Arlo off and on for the past 2weeks... They just send me new cameras which require the new update in order for the base unit to setup and detect. We are just going in circles here...My advice stay way from Arlo period........I wish i could get my money back...I have spent over $50 in batteries....

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jech19  This is exactly what many of us have been saying since the system killing update back in May.  And of course Arlo will give you new cameras. They're as useless to them as they are to us. I just hope potential buyers will read these threads before they waste their money. This is bad business and it should be illegal for them to keep their product on the market until they  fix what they broke. 

TSKEE
Tutor
Tutor

I have wavy pixelation on live view. I have restarted the base station numerous times but it only goes away briefly and then returns. I'm wondering if I made a huge mistake purchasing this system.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

what model number of base station and camera do you have?

TSKEE
Tutor
Tutor

Pro2

TSKEE
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Pixel.jpg

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Another forced firmware upgraded VMB4000 - 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2 on August 30, 2019. The picture is turned into a burred video (Unacceptable). Anyone encountering the same problem or any other issue? 

If you are not satified with any Arlo product, simply submit your application to BBB and you will get your money back, I just received a check from Arlo last week for one of the Arlo security system. So it can be done. Good luck everyone.

Note: It will take approx 2 months to receive the check.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@dsiu2902 wrote:

Another forced firmware upgraded VMB4000 - 1.14.1.0_2909_bfcf6c2 on August 30, 2019. The picture is turned into a burred video (Unacceptable). Anyone encountering the same problem or any other issue? 

If you are not satified with any Arlo product, simply submit your application to BBB and you will get your money back, I just received a check from Arlo last week for one of the Arlo security system. So it can be done. Good luck everyone.

Oh yes this weekend was another Arlo Adventure, releasing a firmware on holiday weekend that somehow made our systems even worse. It's like they're having a competition amongst their developers, who can screw up the most.

Even the CEO knew about the problems and to date no fixes. Also Arlo Support will deny deny deny even though the freaking CEO admits something is wrong.

mm.png

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac wrote:

@dsiu2902 wrote:

Oh yes this weekend was another Arlo Adventure, releasing a firmware on holiday weekend that somehow made our systems even worse. It's like they're having a competition amongst their developers, who can screw up the most.

Even the CEO knew about the problems and to date no fixes. Also Arlo Support will deny deny deny even though the freaking CEO admits something is wrong.

mm.png

Today I can' t even login even though my wife can. I wonder if this new firmware upgrade is the cause.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I bet if enough of us tank their reviews on every retailers website they're sold, it will get the point across as it'll surely mess with their bottom line, money. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

I bet if enough of us tank their reviews on every retailers website they're sold, it will get the point across as it'll surely mess with their bottom line, money. 

Personally I'm waiting for Anker's new camera line Eufy to mature and then I'm jumping ship. Looks like they use the standard magnet and screw mount so I bet we can even re-use our existing Arlo mounts. Reviews are showing they've already surpassed Arlo in a lot of ways.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

Don't have it yet and don't want it. It's bad enough that the forced a change to their Windows web portal that now wil reject my login when it feels like it and takes forever to load.

I guess they thought we weren't suffering enough.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Personally I'm waiting for Anker's new camera line Eufy to mature and then I'm jumping ship. Looks like they use the standard magnet and screw mount so I bet we can even re-use our existing Arlo mounts. Reviews are showing they've already surpassed Arlo in a lot of ways.

We are as well. Eventually Arlo will tell us what they want us to do----stay or go.

sfdfg
Star
Star

Having seemed a bit better lately, the jerkiness seems to have now reappeared on my Arlo cameras! At least the picture is a bit clearer now (although still nowhere near as good as it used to be) but I've just watched my little girl teleport across our back garden in little jumps. All it was missing was a cloud of sulphur and some bamf noises and you'd be forgiven for thinking we had a little Nightcrawler in the family...

GaryBoisseau
Star
Star
So, this is why I now have pixelated, jerky motion, missed detection videos? WTH, Arlo? My video was almost acceptable; now it is totally messed up again. Time to file a complaint against you with the BBB. #neveragainArlo
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@sfdfg wrote:

Having seemed a bit better lately, the jerkiness seems to have now reappeared on my Arlo cameras! At least the picture is a bit clearer now (although still nowhere near as good as it used to be) but I've just watched my little girl teleport across our back garden in little jumps. All it was missing was a cloud of sulphur and some bamf noises and you'd be forgiven for thinking we had a little Nightcrawler in the family...

But....look on the bright side:

They've screwed up the Windows web portal so now it takes forever to load----and like some others, the batteries in ALL my Arlo cameras are draining like mad.

Hmmm.....right. There is no bright side.

GaryBoisseau
Star
Star
Ok, now I am not able to connect to Arlo; it says Arlo is unavailable. What did they do this time?
GaryBoisseau
Star
Star
Well that is now working. I was able to sign in. Now, the database service is down. Can Arlo ever get this to work properly?