Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Very Unreliable in Last 3 Months

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
NoelHastings
Initiate
Initiate

In the last three months or so my Arlo system (5 cameras) is extremely unreliable. Freezing totally, random cameras suddenly becoming "offline" for no reason. Battery drainage extreme. Everything is up to date, I have tried fresh batteries. Eventually I have to power cycle my base station and often re-pair each camera or worse yet, remove the camera and then re-pair it with base station which requires setting it all up again. Up until this period this system had ran reliably for about 2 years. About to junk it. Is Arlo making this older system fail to push us to upgrade to their new system?????

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Really? Stuff happens. Electronics (and pretty much everything else)can go haywire at any point. You can open a case with support to see if they have any insight but you may be needing a new base. A purchase of a single camera system (make it a Pro for more up to date capabilities) could be useful or just try a new base.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No don't think that is Netgear's plan... running 7 Arlos on original base with some Pros and Q and Baby....

I see no issues in the last month or so except when a car took out a pole down the road last week.

Working fine her in NY

Possible to check for some new form of interference

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Retired_Member
Not applicable
I don't believe the other responses are legitimate consumers. Why would he write "stuff happens", as if it's strange to expect a product to remain reliable after 2 years? My Arlo Pro system (8 cameras) has been extremely unreliable within the short 2 weeks of ownership. Cameras intermittently offline, not detecting motion, not recording, not sending push notifications, and displaying pink hue. WORST SECURITY CAMERAS EVER!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BensonBakes,

This could be due to poor signal strength or WiFi interference. Consider relocating your base station and/or cameras (avoiding physical obstacles and other WiFi devices) so that they are closer together and test to see if you get the same results.

Also take a look here for placement tips for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free, Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera, or Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

Jdoug12
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same exact thing you are describing happened to my three cameras. I have done nothing different with these in the past 1 1/2 years. I got two to work ok, one doesn't work at all. Sometimes it doesn't catch daytime activity, like a car coming in driveway-it's within 20 ft. of camera. Stopped recording all nighttime activity. Net gear does have control over these and I believe they are trying to get us to upgrade to the newest cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or you have a hardware problem that requires an open case to resolve. I have original wireless, Pro and Pro2 cameras on 3 different bases as well as a Q, all of which just keep on working. I have the same firmware and hardware as everyone else.

If you don't follow through with the established mechanism to resolve the issue, even if it seems redundant and requires too much effort, you may be stuck with faulty equipment.