Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
proa
Tutor
Tutor

good morning to all,

i need to setup the Arlo VM53430 brand new out of the box. I read the instructions and saw the video, step one wants me to connect the base to my house routher using the provided ethernet cable. Instead of the house router, can i use a TMobile 4G Mobile device via Tether using the USB cable and a Gigaware adapter? I tried it but i dont get the Internet Lights to turn to any color.

Maybe you can suggest something else? I would like to use this setup on a parking lot to monitor the recent break ins of cars. any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, you must use the Ethernet cable.  One way to do this, assuming your hotspot has no ports, is to use a WiFi extender that does have a port.  The extender would connect to your hotspot and the base station would access the Internet via the extender.  As long as the base has at least 1Mb/s speeds, that should work fine.

proa
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat

thanks for the reply i am using my t mobile MF915 which does have a usb port that I am using a gigaware usb to ether net adapter but the internet light on the base station does not even power on. any suggestions so are you saying i should usb it to the extender?

proa
Tutor
Tutor

thanks for the reply i am using my t mobile MF915 which does have a usb port that I am using a gigaware usb to ether net adapter but the internet light on the base station does not even power on. any suggestions

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not being familiar with either the hotspot or adapter, I'd have to say there's an incompatibility with the base. If you can't get an Internet LED lit, it's not gonna work. Use something that has an Ethernet port that the base can plug into, such as a WiFi extender.

dubrex
Tutor
Tutor
I think you're going to need a router in between the T mobile device and the Arlo base station, and the router needs to have a USB port that is 4G compatible. I'm using a TP-Link TL-MR3420 4G router with a ZTE MF823 4G USB dongle plugged into it, and the Arlo base station is connected to the TP-Link router via Ethernet cable. Works well and the 4G network gives me 5Mbps uploads as opposed to the 380kbps that my home ADSL connection is limited to.