Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

While waiting to see how this whole firmware update disaster is going to play out, I decided to try out the new Arlo Smart feature as I have at least four cameras (three (3) basic Arlos and one (1) Arlo Pro) placed where waving branches on trees all too often frustratingly triggers a motion detected recording.

According to the little intro that pops up when you first select the option, the feature is designed to allow you to do just that---disable the option to record on any movement and have just instead record cars, people, and animals.

Well, we've been using it for a couple of days and already I have more than a dozen recordings on both basic Arlos and the Arlo Pro that show nothing but waving leaf covered tree branches.

Now, with the basic Arlos motion detection we're used to seeing nothing in the recording as whatever triggered it moved out of frame too quickly for the basic Arlo to begin recording and catch it. Bbut with the several on the Arlo Pro which has much better motion detection, it shouldn't be because whatever triggered the recording (a running grehyound racing dog, an Eagle flying by, a drag racer blasting past the house, or Superman zooming through our yard) got out of frame too quickly.

So, we're not so sure Arlo Smart is really working. We'll keep testing it for a while and check back here.

2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@MikeBravo,

My understanding is that the Arlo Smart is for notifications only. The cameras will still record everything but theoretically only send notifications about which of the 4 choices you have selected.

As for Activity Zones, I believe the cameras must be continually powered to an AC power source in order to function, which will eliminate the earlier HD cameras.

Brian

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@brh wrote:

@MikeBravo,

My understanding is that the Arlo Smart is for notifications only. The cameras will still record everything but theoretically only send notifications about which of the 4 choices you have selected.

As for Activity Zones, I believe the cameras must be continually powered to an AC power source in order to function, which will eliminate the earlier HD cameras.

Brian

Brian,

I guess I misread the little intro that came up when I selected it. 

Now that I understand, its a waste of time for us as we disabled notifications long ago as they were virtually uselss with the Arlo basic cameras only recorded stuff way after it was over. 

We haven't bothered to reactivate them with our three Arlo Pros either.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mike