Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mike0722
Tutor
Tutor

I’m recently updated to Arlo app version 4.0.1 (newer app layout). I was searching through all the sub menus, just to acclimate myself to the new layout, and I noticed I cannot locate the camera positioning test mode anywhere (where the top 1/3 of the image is greyed out to show where motion will get picked up). Can anyone tell me where this mode is in the new app? Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've always just used live view to position the cameras. I suppose the positioning test may not be included in the new app (I don't have it yet).

Mike0722
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. I just have found it easier using the camera positioning mode bc it clearly shows you where motion will get picked up/not picked up.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I was just updated to 4.0.1 and find the motion detection test where it's always been - in the camera settings, Device Utilities.

Mike0722
Tutor
Tutor

D602983B-34F9-4C87-89D7-5C340B980D65.jpeg

In the new user interface, I cannot find the device utilities menu . Is this what yours looks like?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WIth the release of 4.0, all users may not see the same UI until all accounts have received both 4.0 and the new UI experience. Brand new accounts will have both the new UI and version 4.0 app. In this case, the positioning mode feature is no longer available.

JamesC

Mike0722
Tutor
Tutor

Why remove a feature like that? Is the positioning mode going to be returning to the mobile app? It’s an essential tool when setting up a camera, or readjusting one. Shows exactly what will get picked up by the camera or not get picked up by the camera. When I log onto my account on the computer (with the new UI), the device utilities menu is present, with the camera positioning option there. Why not the mobile app?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, the UI shown with my account using the 4.0.1 app as well as the web client looks exactly like the UI for the old 3.x app and web client. That's why I can see Device Utilities and you can't.

Mike0722
Tutor
Tutor

Right. I don’t understand why a feature like camera positioning would be removed with the updated UI. Makes 0 sense to me. Oh well I guess. 

Gregboora
Guide
Guide

So I just received me Arlo Pro 4 cameras as a Xmas gift.

Today I decided to place the cameras and was planning to use the Position mode. But it looks like that no longer is an option.

Without that option I need to stream to setup the camera. The issue is that I have limited bandwidth (1.2mb upload) so my plan is to store all my videos local.

So I can not stream and I cannot use the position mode, very lame!

Greg

Gregboora
Guide
Guide

I guess I will wait until my basestation arrives, this way I can stream local and get the cameras setup.

Best Greg