Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Rutwad
Aspirant
Aspirant
I set up geofencing but I constantly get notifications on my phone that it needs internet connection. My phone has location and mobile data on. Does it have to be connected to the same wifi as arlo? Or do i have to connect to Netgear under available wifi networks with my phone?
8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What service provider do you have? There was an issue with T-Mobile using IPv6 that was causing a problem but that was supposed to be quashed.

Rutwad
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have Verizon. My home internet is also Verizon. But I have limited usage on my home internet so I keep my phone's wifi turned off. But location and mobile data are on.
Rutwad
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I opened the full notification on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. It says, "Arlo:  Geofencing needs an internet connection.  Open the Arlo app when your connection becomes available."  Well, I do have a connection so I opened the Arlo app.  Initiallly it showed my cameras saying "Your device is offline".  And an orange message box accross the top of the app screen says "You are not connected to the internet".

Just so I understand correctly, I show 2 available wireless networks.  One my home internet and the other is the netgear Arlo.  As long as Netgear is connected to my wireless network at home, I can access it with mobile data on my phone.  Is that correct?  Is there any need for me to turn on wifi and connect to either my home internet or netgear?  I typically leave wifi off b/c I have limited home internet data, but unlimited mobile data.

Thanks in advance!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You should be able to use either WiFi or cell service interchangeably. Can you access the Arlo service when you're not at home but still on cell service only?

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

Rutwad,

We have had some reports of this occuring for some people intermittently. I experienced it myself once last week, however I haven't seen it again since then. It should just be a "nuisance" error as it doesn't affect the actual functionality (if you are finding that to not be the case, let me know). I followed up with Engineering and they are actively working on an update that will address this error. Barring any roadblocks, it should be in production soon. We'll update you when that is launched.

Dawn Marshall
Community Manager, NETGEAR

Rutwad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Geofencing still doesn't work. I've noticed status changing at times it shouldn't. And just yesterday when I walked in, I got a notification of movement when it should have been disarmed. I even have the geofencing area set to the largest option just in case location detection wasn't vey accurate. I really wish there was a fix because its easy for me to forget to manually arm/ disarm.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rutwad,

Some users have had issues with Geofencing when their device has power saving settings enabled. These power saving features could be interfering with the Arlo mobile app causing the location to have issues. Check your power saving settings and be sure the Arlo mobile app is listed as an exception.

JamesC

Rutwad
Aspirant
Aspirant
Power saving mode is off