Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Cameras constantly showing as offline

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Leedurbin
Guide
Guide

I am SO aggravated with my cameras (Arlo wireless). First they kept draining batteries every two weeks, even after adjusting the sensitivity on the cameras. So when I got tired of buying these very expensive batteries, I opted to buy the Arlo rechargeable butteries (also very expensive). I thought that MIGHT help solve the ongoing issue of the cameras going offline...but NO. I cannot restart them when I am not home so they are no use to me....I also get tired of taking the batteries out when I AM home and resyncing. I have a very small home, so distance is not the issue. I even bought a Wifi booster thinking that may help. Any advice would be welcome!!!

2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@Leedurbin

There are many reasons for batteries draining quickly, so I will try to address a couple of ways I solved my battery life issues with these cameras.

Firstly, try to determine if the current location is the best place to mount them. Most people mount the cameras to see their whole yards or driveways and while that may be important, they might be getting too many recordings of less important motion versus mounting the cameras to only see who might be trying to enter your entrance doors or windows.

Secondly, if the cameras are mounted in high traffic areas, determine if the cameras really need to be armed as much as they currently are.

Thirdly, if they are in a location with not enough light, such as in a closed-in porch area, the IR LEDs might be activating too often and draining the batteries prematurely. If so, consider using some motion detection lights to give the cameras more light to work with. Also turn off the Night Vision.

Fourthly, when you purchase batteries singly, they are very expensive. You can purchase 12 packs at Walmart or Amazon where the cost of the batteries is only abour $1.50 each instead of $5.50 if purchased singly. I have had very good luck with Duracel Lithium batteries. Outside I was averaging 3 to 4 months of battery life.

Lastly, consider moving these cameras indoors where the only time you arm them is when you are way from home and no activity should be happening inside the house, and purchase Pro or Pro 2 cameras for outside use coupled with Arlo's solar panels.

These are the steps I followed to solve my battery life issues. Hope this helps.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A wifi booster will have no effect on the cameras... the cameras talk only to the base unit.

( unless your using the booster with an etherent port to centrally locate the base )

Draining in batteries is usu a couple of thing..1) usage 2) distance and bad signal 3) interference ( causing bad signal )

In normal usage, the rechargeables cells should run the camera for about 2 months

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------