Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Camera goes offline after 2 hours

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
pdhaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of my Arlo cameras goes offline for no reason. The batteries are charged and it connected to base station.

When it goes offline, I open the battery cover, wait a few minutes and close the cover. The camera immediately reconnected to the base station and all seems to be good.

30 minutes later when I look at the camera through the app or online it is off line.  If I repeat the steps above, I can get it back online.

I have also completely removed the camera from base station and re-associated/syned it with the system but still have the same issue.

I did notice that when the camera goes offline the indicator light on the camera blinks two (2) times in an amber color.

Any idea what this means and how I can correct this issue?

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Usu, when the camera blinks amber, it means low battery....

Your using rechargeables in the Arlo ?? , as you say charged...

If using the wrong ones, this can happen

You should be using 3.7v Li-ion cells ( arlos hate lifepo types ) and the 3.2 v rechargeable are to close to the cutoff to run long... also of high quality cells with a PCB cutoff for over drain/charge...

Many of the ebay cheap china cells are crap and vastly overrated.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
pdhaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

You are correct that I am using rechargeable batteries but I have been using them for a year now on all 5 cameras without any issues. I even went as far as changing batteries with two (2) other cameras and those cameras worked just fine with the batteries from the camera that keeps going offline.

I also moved the camera to another position closer to the base and witnessed the same results.

I can’t understand why the camera goes offline without warning (not even the low battery warning) it just shuts off showing the “This Arlo device is offline. Please make sure it is connected to the internet” screen on the portal. Then all I have to do is open the battery compartment wait a few seconds then close it and the camera comes back to life, immediately syncs to the base station and works normally for a few hours then goes offline again.

Any other suggestions you can offer or anyone else from the community would get greatly appreciated.     

RACJ2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 of the original Arlo cameras that just started going offline, in the last couple days, as well.   I also have an Arlo Pro and an Arlo Pro 2 Camera and they stay connected fine.  Tried several of the suggestions I found, but none have resolved this. 

Was there a recent firmware update to the VMB4000 base or cameras lately that may have caused this?  The base is on  firmware version 1.12.0.1_27940 and the cameras are on 1.3.314.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No recent updates - check the Release Notes section here to stay on top of what's been released and when.

Try swapping a problem camera with one of your Pro cameras to see if it's the camera or location.

TM03
Aspirant
Aspirant
My camera has started doing this too in the last few months and chewing through batteries (non rechargeables) Camera works for a few hours or days then goes offline. Never get battery warnings any more that they are getting low, it just dies and I have to replace the battery before camera comes back to life.
I’ve had it for about 3 years so wondering if the thing has reached end of life. I assume the firmware is up to date H7. Any fix suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
RACJ2
Aspirant
Aspirant

What I finally did is remove all cameras from my setup.  Then added them all back.  And ever since I did that, I haven't had them go offline anymore.  After you add the cameras back, you have to set up all the custom modes again, but it was worth it.  So you can give this a try.  Hope it works!

pdhaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion. So even though you only had an issue with one camera, you removed all of them and haven't had the issue since? Did you try to remove the problem camera and add it back in by any chance before removing all of them? I did but it didn't make a difference. Just curious if you had the same results...

RACJ2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now that you asked, I recalled this.  I only removed my 3 original Arlo cameras, not the Pro and Pro2,  (The Pro cameras are plugged into power and weren't dropping).   Then I made sure that the batteries in the 3 Arlo cameras were all fully recharged and then added them back.  After that, I rebooted the base and let them all reconnect again.  And its been working fine since then.

TM03
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for this, I’ve removed and re-added so will see what happens... If it works I owe you beer!
RACJ2
Aspirant
Aspirant

You're welcome!  Did this resolve your issue?

TM03
Aspirant
Aspirant
It was all looking good but it’s gone offline again today. Damn
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @TM03,

If you're still having problems where your camera is going offline, contact our support team so they can help you further: Arlo Support

PopsWayne
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are having the same issue the past couple months. I read a couple other responses that said to remove them from the system and add them back.

What is the easiest way to remove them? Do I do that through the app? 

Thank you~