Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Camera Cross Trigger with Lights. Trying to cross trigger when light 1 has motion.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ArloUser137
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 cameras (3 Arlo wireless and 2 Arlo Pro) and 3 Arlo security lights all working from a VMB4000 base station. I want to use cross triggering where LIGHT 1 has motion. When this motion is detected, LIGHT 1 is turned ON. I also want from that same LIGHT 1 motion, to "record video" on CAMERA 1. Very simple. But, when setting up a MODE for this, I don't see the cameras as available devices. I'm setting up a TEST MODE under the light bridge. How do I get my cameras to show up? I've tried from my iPhone app and from the web.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ArloUser137
Aspirant
Aspirant

I removed my New Base WMB4000 and reinstalled my Old Base WMB3000. Now, ALL devices show when creating/editing rules (MODES) for cross trigger sequences. To me, Arlo products are very good, and one reason is that it's really fascinating technology made easy and straight forward. The environment has great flexibility and these rules are a good reason why. And, they're pretty basic. But, this time, when putting this new base online, I just couldn't see the devices, no lights on camera lists and no cameras on light lists when setting up my rules. After fighting with it for a few days, including a support case still open, I put the old base back in service and ALL devices appeared as they should, and I built all my old rules in 15 minutes. I walked around the house after dark and all 8 devices were interacting beautifully!!!! Maybe I'll get a refund or a coffee mug!!! Pics of old and new bases below...... 

Thanks.

Old Base WMB3000Old Base WMB3000

New Base WMB4000New Base WMB4000

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming all cameras and lights are in the same account, use the Add Device selection when editing the rule. All cameras and lights show up there and can be added as you need.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

It looks like this:

Light triggers cameraLight triggers camera

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ArloUser137
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies, suggestions so far. I do understand what you're describing as I've used Arlo for over 2 years now. That EXACTLY what I have seen in the past. Basically, ALL DEVICES show up when you're setting up or editing the rules. I removed everything when I installed a new camera and new base station. I set everything up 1 unit at the time starting with the camera base and then one camera, then the Light base and one light. My thought was just to add everything incrementally. I stopped at that point and set up a quick rule just to test things. I KNEW THAT when I set up the light for motion that I should see the camera to record. (IF LIGHT #1 HAS MOTION RECORD ON CAMERA #1) . Couldn't do it!!! I didn't see the camera on the list. I've tried several things but just can't get lights to show up on Camera rules and cameras to come up (show as the diagram above) on the light rules. HELP!!! Any ideas are appreciated!!!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ArloUser137 wrote:

I removed everything when I installed a new camera and new base station.

That is new information that was not evident before. My guess is that this is where the problem arose.  Hard to tell without knowing all the steps that you went through when removing everything.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ArloUser137
Aspirant
Aspirant

Michaelkenward, the image that you provided is EXACTLY what I expected to see. Again, in the LIGHT RULE, no camera shows up. What I'm after is simply RECORD VIDEO on CAMERA 1 when there's MOTION on LIGHT 1. I've confirmed that everything is on the same account. Thanks for your time. If you have an idea, shoot it to me. 

ArloUser137
Aspirant
Aspirant

At the time I made my first entry into Arlo Community, my set up was:

• New Base Station (WMB4000)for Cameras with 3 Arlo   and 2 Arlo Pro Cameras
  • Same Light Bridge with 3 Arlo Lights

With this configuration, when setting up rules, I could NOT see any cameras on my light rules AND no lights on my camera rules. From that, I COULD NOT set up any cross triggers, like IF MOTION ON LIGHT1, RECORD VIDEO ON CAMERA1.

What I did was :

Remove 1 camera from New Base Station (WMB4000)  for Cameras 

Setup a 2nd Camera Base Station with one of my old flat (WMB3000) and set up the  1 camera on it.

Lights were left untouched. So, my configuration now is:

• New Base Station for Cameras (WMB4000) with 3 Arlo Cameras and 1 Arlo Pro
  • Old Base Station for Cameras (WMB3000) back online with  1 Arlo Pro
  • Same Light Bridge with 3 Arlo Lights

Checked system and all 5 cameras and  3 lights work.

Next, I set up a short rule (MODE) on the camera attached to the old base. When I did, BAM, all 3 lights are now shown as available devices.

Next, I check a rule (MODE) on the lights. There, I NOW see the 1 camera on the old base. 

I DO NOT see the 4 cameras on the New Base.

From this eval, the new base (WMB4000) is the problem. I believe the specs say its ok for it running the cameras I have. From everything that I know, it should be absolutely OK to upgrade to it. I just can't see those cameras as available devices when setting up my rules in MODE. I very much want to use cross triggers. At this point, I plan to take the WMB4000 out and place the old WMB3000 back in service unless someone has an idea. THANKS to those who did offer suggestions or comments.

ArloUser137
Aspirant
Aspirant

I removed my New Base WMB4000 and reinstalled my Old Base WMB3000. Now, ALL devices show when creating/editing rules (MODES) for cross trigger sequences. To me, Arlo products are very good, and one reason is that it's really fascinating technology made easy and straight forward. The environment has great flexibility and these rules are a good reason why. And, they're pretty basic. But, this time, when putting this new base online, I just couldn't see the devices, no lights on camera lists and no cameras on light lists when setting up my rules. After fighting with it for a few days, including a support case still open, I put the old base back in service and ALL devices appeared as they should, and I built all my old rules in 15 minutes. I walked around the house after dark and all 8 devices were interacting beautifully!!!! Maybe I'll get a refund or a coffee mug!!! Pics of old and new bases below...... 

Thanks.

Old Base WMB3000Old Base WMB3000

New Base WMB4000New Base WMB4000