Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dp99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo 2 camera won't charge; says incompatible charger when has been on that charger for years. Two other identical model cameras work on that charger and the problem camera does not work on two other chargers either. The same Arlo 2 camera will not work on that power cord/charger with no battery. Camera works fine if I charge a battery and insert it into the camera. What goes defective such that the camera can detect it is attached to a charger but it won't charge the battery or run off the direct power with no battery inserted?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be that the charger doesn't support the needed Qualcomm Quick Charge capability or is defective. Try a different on that supports both 5 volt and 9 volt outputs.

dp99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try reading the question before you give useless answers! Below is my post again for you to read. Why would you propose the charger does not have the needed capability when it charged the camera for two years and it works on multiple other cameras! Why would you propose it is defective when it works for multiple other cameras? Do you paste the same answer into any related question so you can be a superuser???? 

My original post which you did not apparently read...

"Arlo 2 camera won't charge; says incompatible charger when has been on that charger for years. Two other identical model cameras work on that charger and the problem camera does not work on two other chargers either. The same Arlo 2 camera will not work on that power cord/charger with no battery. Camera works fine if I charge a battery and insert it into the camera. What goes defective such that the camera can detect it is attached to a charger but it won't charge the battery or run off the direct power with no battery inserted?"

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dp99 wrote:

Arlo 2 camera won't charge; says incompatible charger when has been on that charger for years. Two other identical model cameras work on that charger and the problem camera does not work on two other chargers either. The same Arlo 2 camera will not work on that power cord/charger with no battery. Camera works fine if I charge a battery and insert it into the camera. What goes defective such that the camera can detect it is attached to a charger but it won't charge the battery or run off the direct power with no battery inserted?

Obviously something wrong with the USB power circuitry in that camera.  Did you look carefully at the ribbon cable in the housing?

You already have the workaround, which is to charge the battery in a different camera (or to purchase a standalone battery charger for the camera).

dp99
Aspirant
Aspirant

No visible problem with ribbon cable.

That is NOT a workaround. Who has time to charge batteries and replace them over and over. That's the idea of using a charger!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dp99 wrote:

That is NOT a workaround. Who has time to charge batteries and replace them over and over. That's the idea of using a charger!

It's pretty clear that the USB circuitry in your camera has failed.  The ribbon cable is a common cause of that failure, but not the only one.  

Your options are to

• charge the battery in a different device (which is the workaround)
  • replace the camera with a new one
  • live with one less camera

The workaround is a bit more work.  But the new camera would require a subscription for cloud storage, since the 7-day free cloud storage you have now is not offered on any currently sold camera.

Note I don't work for Arlo. Please don't shoot the messenger.