Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo 1st Gen Upgrade Failed - Camera Rejected Upgrade Request

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 8 In Conversation
travispmoore
Aspirant
Aspirant

Been an ARLO user for 3 years and wanted to add a 5th camera. Purchased a Certified Refurbished camera from Amazon. I have added cameras in the past and I have updated the firmward in the past successfully as well.

I added the camera to my system and displayed was - Update your camera's firmard now.

I clicked update and it asled if I am sure you want to update to 1.2.16720? I click yes.

I get - Firmware update in process. Do not remove batteries.

Seconds later, I get - Upgrade failed - Camera rejected upgrade request. 

All I have now is a camera that is added to my system with a gray display yet the camea is sendng me notifications that there was motion from the camera.

I have tried removing the camera and repeating the process and I have tried to do this update in deactived mode. 

Is this a camera issue, base station issue or a me issue?

Thx,

Travis 

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base - that may help.

travispmoore
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried turning off the base station and resetting it twice. I initially purchased 3 cameras and this is hte oly onle doing this. The others are fine. I am thinking that the only explanation is that the camera is not cummnication with the base station properly. I purhased these a while ago and not sure how to proceed. Crap!!!

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This issue happened to me with one of my cameras, but it fixed itself within a couple of weeks.  The camera seemed to run fine using the older firmware while it was in this state.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

travispmoore,

This could occur due to poor signal strength or low battery level when the update is being attempted. Consider a fresh set of batteries and (temporarily) locate the camera close to the base station to be sure it has good signal strength.

Do you still experience the same behavior?

JamesC

travispmoore
Aspirant
Aspirant

James,

The camera has fresh batteries and is sitting next to the base station. I have tried, what seems, like every combination of options to try to upgrade the firmware on the camera. I have not been successful and as a reminder, I have upgraded many cameras in the past and I have never had this problem. Seems like I just wasted $100 on a refurbushed Arlo camera.

Travis

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

travispmoore,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Just a reminder - everything you buy from Netgear has a warranty. Somehow a lot of folks seem to forget that.
bhusband
Apprentice
Apprentice

I purchased my refurbished camera from Netgear because it had the warranty support.  I have also purchased many refurbished products from Amazon but once in a while get a lemon they have good customer support and send a replacement fast. 

Simon1234
Tutor
Tutor

After my vacation nightmare of having all cameras go offline, and then drain their batteries because of the firmware release. I have now returned home and on recharging one of my Arlo Pro cameras it requested a firmware update and is now working ok (for now?).

Having changed the batteries in my Arlo camera, it requests an upgrade, but keeps failing with "camera rejected upgrade request". I have tried restarting the BS, resyncing the camera, and mutliple retries. So I am seeing the same problem...was there ever a solution? Help!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Simon1234,

Bring the camera close to the base station temporarily to be sure of good signal strength and allow it to attempt the update overnight. Do you still experience an issue?

JamesC

Simon1234
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

yes that makes no difference. The only option I have is to click on the firmware upgrade. I left it in that state next to the basestation overnight, without manually starting the upgrade. In the morning it had changed to camera not connected to internet...A battery pull gets me back to "firmware upgrade required". This is an endless loop.

Support are going to replace the camera.

Thanks,

Simon

RadMXRider
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with 1 new camera out of a set of 4. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

RadMXRider,

What issues are you experiencing with your 1 camera?

RadMXRider
Aspirant
Aspirant

What issues are you experiencing with your 1 camera?

The camera is linked to the router, on the app it says Update your camera's firmware now, green rectangle Update Camera.  Press rectangle says Firmware update in progress. Do not remove batteries.   Then says Upgrade failed - Camera rejected upgrade request.

Model VMC3030   with fresh Tenergy Batteries.
Camera is not able to be used since you can't get by the update firmware now.

@ShayneS wrote:

RadMXRider,

Thanks
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

RadMXRider,

Have you tried to contact customer support? I have attached the link here: Arlo Tech Support