Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Argo Wireless cameras/Base Station and AC1900?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
WoodyBlue
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Apple Extreme Router, Netgear Arlo Base station and just purchased a NetGear Ac1900 WiFi Extender to boost the camera WiFi Range. I have the extender linked with the base station but how do I get the cameras to comunicate through the AC1900?

All was and is working fine, I just have two cameras that are a bit weak on the signal and wanted to boost them as well as adding more cameras. 

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The wirelesscameras can't use an extender since it's a dedicated WiFi connection between the cameras and the base.  However, you can use the extender to relocate the base to a more favorable location for better signal to the cameras.  If that's not possible for some reason, a second base station could be obtained for those two cameras to connect to.

Note that the Q cameras use your own WiFi and thus could get better signal from an extender.

WoodyBlue
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is a great thought. I will relocate the base and that will help. I will try that. Aren't the Q cameras wired? and not wireless?

WoodyBlue
Aspirant
Aspirant

One more question. Do they  make skins for Arlo Q or a Black version? They stand out so much in my Log home.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q cameras do require power so they're wired in that sense.  The Q+ can also use Ethernet and PoE vs. WiFi so that's even a bit different.

There's no skins that I'm aware of for the Qs but you can use some creative painting as has been done with the wireless cameras to change the color.  Just be sure to mask the camera face well.

WoodyBlue
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wow, 200 bucks for a camera I have to paint. That makes sense.  Thank you.