Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are these Lithium batteries safe?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
HWood_617
Aspirant
Aspirant

I apologize if this question was asked before. With all the horrible stories about these batteries catching on fire, I am growing uneasy about keeping this camera. I still have time to return it to Amazon for a refund, so I really need to know if they are safe? Have there been any fire issues with the camera's? Or a specific brand that has been used? Is there a specific brand proven to be safe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Most of the cases u read/hear about are with rechargeable li-ion cell.... This is not the case with primary lithium cells that are use in the OEM batteries. They are different types of batteries

The 123 cells have a max output of only about 1 amp with a short term pulse of maybe 3 amps.... Basicly there enough juice to short out the cucuit unit board ( if it were to happen) but not enough to sustained long time drain to really do other damage.

I haven't hear of the OEM  type cells ever really causing dangers that your thinking of. ( unless u eat them )

Sleep safe at night!

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What stories? There's been exactly one story here, quite some time ago. Note that this wasn't using the oem-style non-rechargeables bit with an unprotected rechargeable. I've used both with no issues but would recommend using only the protected types.

HWood_617
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat. Thanks for the reply. I am referring to the Lithium battery scare as a whole, like with those hover boards. Please forgive me as I know nothing about the subject of the supposed Lithium dangers. I just asked to be sure if anyone experienced any issues. I purchased Steamlite replaceables for the cameras and pray I wont have any (combustion) fire issues. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

HWood_617,

There are many threads on this board discussing rechargeable batteries. While some users have had success using various rechargeable battery options, NETGEAR does not recommend using them. Take a look at this article for NETGEAR recommended batteries/handling for your Arlo wire-free cameras: Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries

Thank you!

JamesC

HWood_617
Aspirant
Aspirant

Again, thank you for the reply. My question was not asking about rechargables, it was about the "reliability/safety" of these Lithium Batteries as a WHOLE. I can afford to purchase new batteries when needed, I just wanted to ask if anyone had any issues with trusting them in this camera - inside/outside the home as possible fire danger. 

CaptainDork
Apprentice
Apprentice

The lithium batteries shipped by Arlo are safe (see "but ...") when reputable manufacturers are used.

But ... any manufactured product of any kind can fail, seemingly randomly. In the case of these batteries, minute metal particles can "short" out the battery and cause excessive heat, and, possibly, a fire.

The incident rate for these batteries is extremely low. Reputable manufacturers have a strong financial incentive in making sure the batteries are safe.

Be sure to inspect batteries before installation.

If the battery is corroded, swollen, or shows other signs of defect, don't use it. Also look for impact damage. The batteries can fail if they have been punctured or crushed.

HWood_617
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Captain. I feel better with your reply. I just wanted to hear if anyone knew of any specific incidents with the CR123a batteries. Not just in the Arlo camera, but KNOWN issues with these small batteries. 🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Most of the cases u read/hear about are with rechargeable li-ion cell.... This is not the case with primary lithium cells that are use in the OEM batteries. They are different types of batteries

The 123 cells have a max output of only about 1 amp with a short term pulse of maybe 3 amps.... Basicly there enough juice to short out the cucuit unit board ( if it were to happen) but not enough to sustained long time drain to really do other damage.

I haven't hear of the OEM  type cells ever really causing dangers that your thinking of. ( unless u eat them )

Sleep safe at night!

Morse is faster than texting!
HWood_617
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you TomMac thats what I was worried about. Sorry if I didnt phrase the question better. I live in a condo complex and if I were to place the camera outside and say there was a fire due to those batteries, I feel the insurance company would  blame me, and rightfuly so...