Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are there any Arlo camera models that can record locally or are the options limited to billed service or flash drive?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Frankgtx
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m considering replacing 2 VMC4030 cameras. These cameras allow recording locally without billed storage service and without the use of a flash drive connected to the base station. I have 2 VMC2030 which record to a flash drive. That’s ok but not optimal. Are there any Arlo camera models that can record locally or are the options limited to billed service or flash drive? I have a VMB4000 base station. Are there upgraded base stations that allow local recording?

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Frankgtx wrote:

These cameras allow recording locally without billed storage service and without the use of a flash drive connected to the base station.

Actually they offer 7 days of free cloud storage.  They are not recording locally, unless you have a flash drive connected. 

In the case of the VMB4000, you need to remove the flash drive and connect it to a PC to review the local records.

@Frankgtx wrote:

Are there any Arlo camera models that can record locally or are the options limited to billed service or flash drive? I have a VMB4000 base station. Are there upgraded base stations that allow local recording?

The VMB4540 and VMB5000 allow direct access to local recording (stored on a flash drive with the VMB4540 and a microSD card with the VMB5000).

But there are several limitations

• recordings are only accessible in the app (not from a browser).
  • recordings are only accessible from the primary account (not "friend" accounts).
  • no ability to save manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails - recordings need to be downloaded to view.
  • remote access requires router settings changes that some find difficult (and which don't work with some ISPs - for example mobile broadband).

Frankgtx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen. So if I understand my 4030s get free 7 day cloud storage. If I use Arlo’s promotion and swap my 4030s for Ultra 2s I will have to use local storage via a flash drive or pay for cloud storage. A wireless flash drive is probably the best option to make viewing of locally recorded video fast and easy.

If I may address some of the complaints I saw with respect to Arlo’s EOL statement and policy. Yeah it sucks that tech products become obsolete but that is life. Arlo’s no different than other tech companies. I’ve looked at other video security systems and Arlo is the best from a perspective of ease of use, reliability, durability and image quality.