Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Approving new login via push notification hangs the Arlo app

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
sunstar777
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone have problems with approving a new login request via the app on older versions of Android?

As expected, when I login to the web portal on a new device, I get challenged for a verification code sent to my trusted mobile device. This pops up on my phone fine. However, as soon as I hit "Approve" and the spinning "doughnut" icon starts to show that it is approving the request, the app hangs. I then need to restart the phone to gain control. I'm never able to be verified and so can't access the portal.

The phone I'm using cannot be updated so is stuck on Android 7 as it is a Meizu Pro 7 Plus running the global ROM. I have dozens of apps running and they are all fine - it's just the Arlo app that gives me grief. In fact, around 50% of the time when selecting the app, it hangs and causes odd issues like causing the "back" gesture to stop working. I then need to restart the phone. The only way that I've been able to use two factor authentication via push notification is to re-install the app. Even then it only works once out of every five or so re-installs. Clearly this isn't a good workaround!

I'm very fond of my phone so don't plan on retiring it any time soon. So I guess I have 2 questions...

1. Is the Arlo app still considered compatible with Android 7?

2. Is it possible to change the 2FA to always use SMS or email instead of push notifications without changing settings via the app?

I've found this in the KB, but it says that I need to got to "profile" when I login into my.arlo.com, but that option isn't there?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062289/How-do-I-edit-two-step-verification-settings

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) According to the following link, it's compatible with Android 5.0 and above:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062252/Why-do-I-need-to-download-a-new-Arlo-app

Make sure you have the latest app.

2) I just checked and there is definitely a Profile selection in Settings. It's there both in the web client as well as the app. WHen you click on Profile, go to Two Step Verification and choose an appropriate verification method.

Restarting the phone is a brute force method of getting the app to work. A mildly less costly method would be to just force close the app which should accomplish the same thing. A removal and reinstall of the app may also help. However, it's possible that the customizations the phone manufacturer applied is an issue (or some other app is somehow causing an interaction). A factory reset may help or checking to see if a custom ROM could be installed (Lineage OS doesn't appear to do so).

sunstar777
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @jguerdat,

Sorry - I just realised that I hadn't made one thing clear... when the app hangs, it completely hangs the phone. I have no choice but to go for a restart of the phone.

As I mentioned, I've re-installed the app a number of times as it's the only way that I can occasionally get the 2FA push notification approval to work. Therefore it's definitely on the latest version. Currently this is 3.0.1_28335.

I'm afraid there's no custom International ROM for the Meizu Pro7 Plus as this model was never widely released outside of Asia. That's a shame because I thought the rear screen was a really innovative idea which all phones would adopt. It's perfect for your subject to "prepare" themselves for a photo!

By the way, one time when I managed to get access to the app, I was able to select email as the 2FA mechanism via the app profile settings. Then, miraculously, the menu item for "Profile" appeared in the web portal too!

I've reset the phone in the past but am not keen on the amount of effort it takes to get all settings and apps back to the way they were before. The phone is loaded with over 150 apps and Arlo is the only one that continually suffers from problems.

Anyway, I guess I'll have to disable push notifications and stick with email 2FA for now.

I really like Arlo, but the app does let it down. Oh, and the constant prodding to pay for subscription!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @sunstar777

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue with your device. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

sunstar777
Tutor
Tutor

OK, I'll contact support.

Just as an FYI, in case others are having problems, today the app asked me to login again. I received an authentication code via email but when I entered it in the app, the app crashed and caused the phone to restart!

Once again, I've not experienced this with any of my 150 or so other apps.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@sunstar777

Which version of the Arlo app are you using & What version of OS is your device/phone running?

sunstar777
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo app 3.1_28345 and Android version 7.0 running on a Meizu Pro 7 Plus.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Does this issue occur on any other devices or just your Meizu phone?

sunstar777
Tutor
Tutor

I only run the app on one phone so can't really say if it affects other devices.

I've been trying to understand if there's a specific set of circumstances which lead to the issue, but can't see a pattern. I notice that there's been a couple of updates to the app since I last posted and this has slightly improved things, in that the app hangs and crashes the phone around 1 out of every 5 or 6 times I use it now. Previously it was around 50% of the time.

For reference, the app has updated to version 3.2_28350 now.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue.