Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
MrX
Tutor
Tutor

Hi all,

I have two Arlo cams, but only one of them get updated. The VMC3030 has firmware 1.2.2545 (which I belive is the latest), while the VMC3010 model has 1.2.2222 (yes the buggy version as I have understood from the discussions on this topic here).

Having read through all  the related threads here that I could find, I still cannot make the firmware update magic to happen. It simnply does not want to.

I have the "auto update F/W" setting set to "On".

I have tried to re-sync the troublesome camera several times.

I have opened/closed the battery door.

I have replaced batteries (thought that if the camera reports low battery charge on rechargeables due to old firmware it may perhaps not update becaus of risk of power outage in midst of updating)

I have rebooted the base station from software.

I have rebooted the base station with physical power button.

I have been waiting for the camera to update its firmware for a couple of months now, this is insane 😞

Why, oh why, can I not simply dowload the firmware file and manually upload it through the web interface to the camera?

What to do now then? I really want the update, because I want the camera to report battery charge correctly on rechargeables (which is not the case on 1.2.2222).

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AirOne41,

The firmware update will trigger during the 3am-5am time frame based on the local time zone that the base stations are located in.

If both cameras on base station A are showing offline please consider the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot the base station (power on/power off)

2. Power cycle the cameras (open and close the battery compartment cover)

3. Resync each camera one at a time.

If you are still having issues with the cameras going offline you could try swapping batteries from a working camera to try and isolate the issue.

Regards,

JamesC

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
DeannS
Arlo Employee Retired

Good afternoon MrX,

I would like to assist you with the firmware issue you are experiencing.

How can I trigger my Arlo system to update its firmware?

You can configure your base station to automatically update its firmware the next day. If you enable Auto Update FW (found under Settings > Base Station Settings), the base station and camera firmware will automatically update itself between 3am and 5am the next morning.

To trigger your Arlo system to update its firmware the next day:

1. Log in to your Arlo account at https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login.
    2. SelectSettings > Base Station Settings.
    3. Make sure that the Auto Update FW setting is set to the ON position.
    4. As long as Auto-Update FW is ON and there is a base station firmware update available, the base station will update itself the next day between 3am and 5am.
    5. Cameras will also update their firmware on this schedule, if there is a firmware update available and Auto Update FW is ON.

If your firmware does not update between 3am and 5am, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks for your post! I hope this helps!

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,

DeannS

Arlo Team

AirOne41
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experience the same Problem since yesterday. I added two more Base Sations to my Network and i am using the Elite Plan right now. 

Everything is on Auto-Update, i double checked that but still when i go to the mobile app and there is constantly a warining sign near the settings button 

and i sometimes three sometimes four or even five of my currently 8 cameras showing that warning sign. 

All Cameras displying that the are running on 1.1.1733 and that an update is available (1.2.2688 published 04/24/2015) but if i click on update nothing 

really happens.. the warining sign disappears for a couple of minutes that it is back on. 

I read the Auto Update should happen over night bevore 5 am. Question would be oriented on what time-zone ? Any US Timezone or the localone my basesations are operating in ? Cause my cameras are based in Germany, so they are in the Paris Time-Zone. 

Another dissapoint issue is that since i am working with the 3 Base Stations and 8 Cameras that the two cameras which are the only ones connected to base station A are displaying offline. I don´t understand why cause the are only about 5 to 6 ft. away from this particular base station and i connected them new and renamed them new several times. But always the are working for like 4-5 minutes and after that they are constantly offline. 

Please help. Thank you. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AirOne41,

The firmware update will trigger during the 3am-5am time frame based on the local time zone that the base stations are located in.

If both cameras on base station A are showing offline please consider the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot the base station (power on/power off)

2. Power cycle the cameras (open and close the battery compartment cover)

3. Resync each camera one at a time.

If you are still having issues with the cameras going offline you could try swapping batteries from a working camera to try and isolate the issue.

Regards,

JamesC

jeklein
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue with one of my cameras...tried all these fixes and nothing worked.  Just "removed" the camera to try and resync it and now I can't resync it all to the systerm.  What do i do now?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jeklein,

Consider replacing the batteries with a fresh set. If the batteries in the camera are low, the firmware upgrade will not initiate. Low batteries can also cause problems when attempting to sync the camera to the base station.

JamesC

Daniel67
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought the system and im having the same problem within 2 hrs of the install 1 out 4 are having this issue.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What have you tried to remedy this?  Try power cycling the base station and open and close camera battery doors.

dunc01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the arlo base station and two cameras and all were working okayish until it asked me to update firmware. The cameras don't stay online and doesn't appear to be updating also. I have tried replacing batteries, resyncing and restarting everything and still not working. Please HELP!!

Sless
Initiate
Initiate
Worked for me! Had 3 full batteries and one with 3/4th on the tester. Put a new one in and boom. Just like everyone else I rebooted both the camera and base unit with no resolution. Must be the batteries need to be at 100%
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The cameras may have gone offline due to the recent firmware update not completing, for more information on how to troubleshoot this, see here: My Arlo camera is offline since the release of the recent firmware update; what do I do?

Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues syncing your cameras.

JamesC

Aspirant
Aspirant

System will not update firmware even after I reset to factory settings and follow update insturtions dillegently several times.

How do I update after this. Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poor internet speed could be the cause of the issue, who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

alprmwe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do have DSL at 1.5mbps 😞

Would it work if I took it and connected to a fast internet speed to update?

Any other way around this? I have no problem with them recording motion and viewing, but I can't watch live.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

alprmwe,

The internet connection is likely the cause of the issue. Yes, you could try connecting it to a faster connection temporarily to complete the update.

JamesC