Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
DGoodrow
Star
Star

Received Android System Update 14 QPR2 Beta 2 yesterday on my Pixel 7. Afterwords, Arlo app won't open.  

Best answers
67 REPLIES 67
Wes0085
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess let me add my voice to the choir. PixelFold with the exact same issue running the newest beta. I'm tempted to trash this camera and find something new.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Really? Use a beta OS and blame the app which works fine on the standard OS? ANyway, it appears Arlo has figured out the issue and will be releasing an app update.

enrmastro
Guide
Guide

Dear iguerdat, it is a much more simple kind of reasoning: if the solution I paid for is not working on the system I am using, I will switch to an alternative (there are plenty indeed, even from Google - see Nest).

As other users said above, it is more likely that I stop using Arlo, rather then needing to wipe my phone and having to backup/ reinstall everything. Especially since it is the only app (at least in my experience) that had this issue with Android Beta releases.

Simple as that!

DGoodrow
Star
Star
I have been using third party Nova Launcher going on two decades. Unbeknownst to me there was a similar problem with a component on the launcher. They sent an update on the sixteenth to fix the problem caused by the Android 14QPR2 Beta update.
Changelog

Dec 16, 2023

• Add support for Smart Spacer feed
  • UI improvements
  • Fixes crash on Android 14 QPR2
  • Other minor fixes
Evadently, not so hard for them to fix. 
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@enrmastro wrote:

if the solution I paid for is not working on the system I am using, I will switch to an alternative (there are plenty indeed, even from Google - see Nest).

Arlo certainly has its quality issues, but blaming them for beta software issues is over the top.

There are good reasons why both Google and Apple warn you that apps (and core OS features) might break when you try Android or iOS beta software on your phone. The best way to avoid that risk is to wait until they release it to production.  Alternatively roll back to production software when the beta breaks something you need.

enrmastro
Guide
Guide

Wonder if you are indeed an Arlo employee, considering my claim as "over the top". Or maybe just a "strong" fan.

For sure the situaiton is making people wonder the benefit of keeping Arlo vs competitors. Your words for sure don't help, trust me!

Hope the Arlo team can step in and solve the issue shortly, I am sure, given that we are talking about a listed company, they are fully capable of doing so.

Best,

Enrico

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@enrmastro wrote:

Wonder if you are indeed an Arlo employee, considering my claim as "over the top"

Nope.  Just saying that when you install beta software, some stuff will break.  This time it was Arlo.  Next time, likely something else.  The whole purpose of beta is to find out what breaks so you can fix it before you release the software for general use.

So you ran into a bug in Android Beta and are blaming Arlo for it.  And IMO that is definitely "over the top".  Like blaming your tire company because you got a flat running over a nail.

@enrmastro wrote:

Your words for sure don't help, trust me!

I'm just another user, so it doesn't matter to me if you stay with Arlo or move to something else.

@enrmastro wrote:

I am sure, given that we are talking about a listed company, they are fully capable of doing so.

Google broke it, and it's not at all clear that anyone other than Google can fix it.

DGoodrow
Star
Star

If you're not one of the millions of users participating in the Android Beta program and have a problem...why are you even here?  Surely you must have better things to do than trolling the Arlo troubleshooting website. 

thejtluv
Guide
Guide

Ain't technology grand? Nothing like it to bring folks together around the holidays. My one and only suggestion is everyone raise a glass and have a nice stiff drink. Cheers!!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@thejtluv wrote:

My one and only suggestion is everyone raise a glass and have a nice stiff drink. Cheers!!!

Great suggestion! Cheers!

TexiAce
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't want to blame either side for the problem, but this does hurt so I hope one or the other gets it resolved soon.  Unfortunately, as mentioned you have to do a complete wipe of your system to roll off the beta.

hollandnigel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Pixel 6a with the Beta and have the same issue,

My missus has a Pixel 7 with the regular  Android version (with all recent updates) and it all works fine .

Tastebuddy
Guide
Guide

+1 here having the same issue. Pixel 6. Do we have any timeline for a fix? 

Alexklimaj
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem here on a pixel 6. Very frustrating, causing me to miss deliveries at my business. Should have stuck to Ring.

nbafan99
Aspirant
Aspirant

It fails on my Pixel 7a but works with my updated (Android 14) Samsung Tab S9.

Dumdidum
Tutor
Tutor

Damn. 

I just removed all devices one by one from my account because of this happening. 

Then I could start the app, as soon as I added one cam, it crashed.

But yeah - that's the thing about using beta phone software. Can't really blame Arlo for it. Not at all. Still frustrating...

Tastebuddy
Guide
Guide

... but every other app on my phone - the phone running Beta software - works fine and does not crash on launch.  So yeah, I am blaming Arlo.   As of last night, I'm not even getting notifications any more.  At least before I knew if someone was in my driveway - I just couldn't look at them.  Now I don't even know and the app and equipment are worthless to me.

Tastebuddy
Guide
Guide

What is the timeline for a fix here?  As of last night, I am now no longer even receiving notifications.  At least before, I got notifications that something was on camera, even if I couldn't successfully look at it.  Now - Nothing!

Dumdidum
Tutor
Tutor

Nope. This is not how it works.

If you are installing a Betaversion of an OS, you have to be prepared for apps crashing. 

I am a developer too and really sickened about all the whining of users who just don't see all the work. If Google has changed something in their Beta which is interfering with our apps, this is a pitty.

Sure - we might say Arlo could fix it quicker - but still. It is not their fault. 

Too many users out their are installing beta OS'es and have no clue what this means.

Tastebuddy
Guide
Guide

Dumdidum - nope.  I asked for an update.  You call that whining?  You're obviously either  on the payroll or just an Arlo apologist.  The Arlo rep said on 12/15 that "they are aware... and will update us".  We've had no update in two weeks time.  Even an update that says "we don't know how to fix it" is still an update.   Maybe they should hire a few developers from the other 30-odd paid apps I have on my phone that DO work with Google software.

hollandnigel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I fully accept it's an issue of running a Beta,

I have Arlo on my PC and my missus has it on her phone 👍

Dumdidum
Tutor
Tutor

Oh no I have complained enough about the Arlo products here in the forum, no worries.

But: It's clearly an issue with a Beta OS, their products are working quite good on production versions of Android.

So. If you say you blame Arlo - you can do that, it's a free world. But. You accepted the rules by installing Android Beta. As I said. Beta is generating problems, also with other apps.

You know I today have uninstalled the beta of Android, reconfigured my whole phone just to get Arlo back to work. Took me some time, but I am not complaining/blaming Arlo. I know the rules and that's what it is. 

hollandnigel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Things are getting a bit heated 😂

Don't use a Beta if you can't handle apps not working for a period of time

DGoodrow
Star
Star

Dum,

You are really at risk of overplaying your hand.  We all receive app updates from the Google play store almost daily from developers staying current with the latest Google changes.  Arlo is asleep behind the wheel and your continued pontifications are doing nothing but inflaming Arlo's customer base.  You claim to know about the firmware but you certainly don't know about customer relations.

Dumdidum
Tutor
Tutor

I get your point and I was too not happy to be forced to go back to the production version of Android 14. 

We in our company are trying to be really fast in providing fixes to bugs even for unsupported beta versions of Android. But: They are not obliged to do this and big companies often are very unflexible.