Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Android Arlo App Keeps Crashing When (Mode) Is Selected

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the last week or so, the arlo app keeps chashing when i go to the mode tab ( on multiple andrid decices: 2x Galaxy 8, a Galaxy 5, and a Tab A). All other features of the app appear to be working. I have reinstalled the app several times, still crashes.

Anyone else seen this problem recently?

Any recommended solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure if i got an update or inadvertantly reset something, but it is now working on all devices.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Odd. Try rebooting the devices and reinstalling the app.

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure if i got an update or inadvertantly reset something, but it is now working on all devices.

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well the same symptoms have returned.  App crashes when you go to "Mode" on my 3 different android devices. Have reinstalled the spp, reset base station, and restarted devices.  No luck!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Bryan_F,

What version of Android (OS) are you using on the devices?

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Android Version 8.0.0 on my Samsung two S8s; Version 5.0.2 on my Tab A

Normally it crashes as soon as i got to the mode tab, a couple times over the last week (maybe 2 out of 15 tries) it let me select a new mode before it crashed.

r,

Bryan

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Bryan_F,

What error message are you getting when the app crashes & Does this happen over your WIFI or Mobile Data? Also, Do you have the latest version of the Arlo App installed? You can go in to the app store and select you apps and it will let you know if an update is needed.

jse1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd like to jump in here. I have been having the same problem with the Android App crashing everytime I push the mode tab.  I have 2 basestations running in two completly different locations (30 miles apart), each with 4 cameras. I am paying for this service as I have 8 total cameras in operation and getting agravated with the issue. I have the Arlo app 2.5.3_22376 running on my S7 Edge running Android 8.0. When I touch MODE, the app immediatly closes and says 'Arlo has stopped'. Little pop-up appears and I have the options to Close app or Send feedback.  A can log right back in and get the same responses. 

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screenshot_20180905-202113_Samsung Experience Home.jpg 

Android is up to date and it does it via wifi or 4g network through T-Mobile

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo app is also updated, and been reinstalled a few times.

jse1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I made some progress. I completly removed one of my base stations and rest it to factory. I did this because I was having problems with the cameras (recording the full 5 minutes each time despite no motion continuing). I wanted to start over installation. Having re-added the base station to my account and re-syncing my cameras, my app is not working as intended. I can enter the mode tab at any time without the app crashing. I can make adjustments to the armed/disarmed status as intended. As for my other problem of full 5 minute recordings, not sure on that as I haven't tested it yet but the MODE tab is back and useable.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Bryan_F,

You may need to try and reboot the Base Station and uninstall the app. Once the base station is back online, try and download the app & continue the install.

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done a web based reset of the base station and reinstelled the apps in that sequence, do you mean a factory reset?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on ShayneS's response, I think he means restarting the base, not resetting it.

Bryan_F
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, it must have been a glitch in the modes; I deleted all my personilized modes and started over. Day, night, etc. and all seems well. No issues at ths time.

- Troubleshooting: Tested the app with the base station off. And it was fine.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Bryan_F,

We are glad your system is up and running. please let us know if you need further assistance.

M_v_M
Guide
Guide

In my case the Android app 2.5.3_22376 also crashes when switching to the "mode" tab (iOS app works fine).

I figured out that the Android app ALWAYS crashes when the cameras are running in Schedule mode and the cameras have been switched to "active" by Schedule mode. When they run in Schedule mode, but have been deactivated by Schedule mode, usually everything works fine. Also the non-Schdeule modes usually work fine. I write "usually", because in rare cases I observe a crash when disarming my Arlo Pros (I have an Arlo Q and 4 Arlo Pros).

Can be reproduced on 2 different Samsung Galaxy A3 phones (also re-installed the app already and turned off + on the cameres). The described crash didn't exist in some of the earlier versions of the Android app.