Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Tweakyguard
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have just received the arlo pro cameras and base station and set up was flawless. However I seem to have a problem when opening the app on Android. The device shows as offline but now and again will work, but I have to keep trying and it's basically just a hit and miss if it's all going to connect.

The motion detection always works however, I still get recording and push notifications.

Works flawlessly on iPhone I might add.

Any ideas? Obviously Android app problem.
14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Not specifically an Android app issue but either an issue with how it works on your device or maybe a server connection issue. I don't have this pop up often and all I use is Android. Does this happen on both WiFi as well as cell service?
Tweakyguard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reply. Yes both Wi-Fi and cell. It's such a strange issue. Like I say, my girlfriend's iPhone works with it with 0 problems on the same device (I granted her access). I have tried everything, I just can't seem to get anywhere with it.
Tweakyguard
Aspirant
Aspirant
To further add... and to clarify when I open the app the two cameras say "Getting Status..." for a while. Sometimes it finally connects but most the time it just goes to "Oflline". Notifications and recordings are not affected by this at all and work fine. But I can't see the live feed when I do get the notifications you see.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Guess it's time to open a case with support.
wpvbalen
Tutor
Tutor
I can confirm this behavior.
I recently purchased my first arlo pro camera set and when logging on to the arlo app from a android device most of the time the app tells me that the basestation is offline (but it's not). No ptoblems on ios devices or when logging on to the netgear-arlo portal from a regular windows computer.

Based on the latest android app store reviews for the arlo app a lot of people are dealing with this bug in the app.
silverado44
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thats strange, I have the Andoid app on my S5 and it works great never had any issues. Maybe delete the app and re- install.

dercky
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here. Problems started when adding Arlo-Q next to 2 wireless camera's. Camera's showing offline in android app (One plus one) everything working fine on iOS and browser.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

dercky,

Do the cameras always show offline? Consider force closing the app and sign back in. Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

dercky
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

The behaviour is very strange. It takes a very long time for the android app to get the status off the camera's and they are showing offline very often after trying to connect for a long time. Sometimes it helps to switch off the wifi and connect to it again. Also the app seems to quit and to restart automatically not sure what is causing this behaviour. 

On desktop I never have that behaviour and get immediately the status of the camera's although it is on the same Wifi network. I have the feeling that this started when I added the Arlo Q to the network. Before i had never problems with the android app but off course this can be a coincidence.

Best regards,

Christian.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I also see a noticeable difference in the startup time between using the app on my Android devices and my laptop.  The app takes many seconds   I just roughly timed it at >10 seconds from the initial Getting Status messages to a working display compared to ~2 seconds on the laptop.  Some of this is device performance while the app vs browser performance is surely in there, too.

The app also has to check to see if you've logged on from another device which then has to be logged off.  That causes the startup of the app, then reverting to the home screen and then back to the app to log in.  The browser also has to do this but is much faster.

dercky
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the feedback on the reason for the app switch.

I could live with the 10 second delay if necessary. Though it becomes a problem when the camera's and gateway appear as offline which is the case for me. This is not correct as the camera's and the gateway are not offline at that time. That problem never occurs on my laptop. So even if there was a 10 seconds delay the camera's should not appear as offline in my opinion.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is a new Android app update available (2.4.0) for download through the Play Store. Please download the latest update and let me know if you still experience this issue.

JamesC

wpvbalen
Tutor
Tutor

Great. Problem appears to be fixed. Android app now always shows the basestation as being online. Tried on GS7, Sony Xperia X and a Chuwi tablet (all suffered from the same symptoms when opening the Arlo app).

Thnx Netgear.

Tweakyguard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Perfect! The problem is fixed, thank you.