Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Adjusting Sensitivity, Which Setting To Adjust?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tweeder
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have that camera angled down so that I miss the vehicles passing on the street, but it keeps going off and draining the batteries quickly.  There are two sensitivity adjustments, one in the mode screen and one in the settings under devices and motion detecting.  What does each one do?  I'm looking to stop the sensor from detecting the passing vehicle keys and puck up what comes in my drive.

7 REPLIES 7
brh
Master
Master

@Tweeder 

The settings in the Motion Detection Test are exactly that - a test. I gives you an approximate value to set the real setting in the Mode and Rules section.

As far as the rapid battery drain, this is usually caused by the camera going offline due to a weak signal between the base and the camera. When the camera loses connection, it will keep trying to connect until the battery depletes. How many bars of signal strenfth is your camera showing on the device page?

Brian

Tweeder
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 one for each side of the driveway covering both sides of both vehicles.  One is at 3 bars which only has 22% battery left and the other side is at 2 bars and has 72% battery.  They both seem to be detecting at the same time more or less.  I guess I need to clarify when I said "going off"  I meant detecting and recording.  I'm guessing that there's a defective battery in the one camera as they were installed the same day.  But the two in the back are at 95% and don't get any activity.

brh
Master
Master

@Tweeder 

try swapping one of the batteries that read 95% and see how long it lasts in the camera that is draining rapidly and see what happens.

Brian

Tweeder
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah I'll look into the batteries but I just ordered some.  I would like to get more of the driveway for a better view.  Right now I have them mounted high and pointed down so I miss the street so it wont keep recording. But with that, it don't give a clear enough picture if somebody were to walk up.  I have a 45 foot drive and I'm only viewing half that and it seems to sense the vehicles driving by or on a nice day, it'll catch their reflection in the vehicles.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

While cars reflect IR well and can be picked up farther away, the PIR is only good for people out to 25 ft.

concentrate on the people and not the cars 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Tweeder
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the PIR.  And yes I would rather concentrate on people.  Any tip on setting that up?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

PIR = Passive InfraRed - it's the sensor used not only by these cameras but als many other motion-detection devices such as outdoor lighting.

There's an FAQ here on best camera positioning that's worth reading.