Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Added another Arlo and now an original won't work?`

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BlairB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had a few arlos for the past year and had very few issues during that time. 

I decided to add another arlo today (which seems to be working fine), but after doing so one of my original cameras won't work. I have restarted the base, taken the batteries out of the cameras etc... but I still get a "This Arlo device appears offline" within minutes of doing that. It will fire up for a few, but won't function like it use to.

Any ideas?? Everything was working great until today. 

6 REPLIES 6
brh
Master
Master

@BlairB

How many cameras did you have before you added the new one? Have you reached your 5 camera limit on your free subscription plan?

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Has the topology of your Arlo setup changed at all? Where is the new camera relative to the one having issues?  Have you tried removing the flaky camera from Settings, My Devices and resyncing? Be sure all firmware is up to date on all devices.

BlairB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great questions- nothing in the camera topogrpahy has changed and it is actually one of the cameras that shows stronger singal that is dropping out. I have tried removing and re-adding as well, and am still below 5 cameras. 

I did discover something even more odd last night. When I keep the cameras on "Armed" it works fine. This error is only occuring when I use a custom mode where I have the following rules few rules set up. The front door camera is the one that keeps going offline and it won't re-appear even if I go back to "Armed".

Front door motion: Record Front Door

Front door motion: Record Driveway

Driveway motion: Record Driveway

Sideyard motion: Record Sideyard

Backyard motion: Record Backyard

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Aha! There's your problem. When you add a camera, it automatically gets added to the Armed mode since it's a default mode for troubleshooting and to get you going. You must add it manually to any custom modes since the system has no way of knowing you will use that camera for or how.

BlairB
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is odd, I have used it in Armed mode normally and added it manually to custom mode. Everything works fine until I switch to my custom profile, then the front door camera stops working on all modes. 

Is there anything I can do differently? It seems like some sort of bug. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure. Try power cycling the base and maybe creating a new custom mode.