Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO WIRE FREE SNOW & ICE

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Bluedevil
Tutor
Tutor

A recent snow storm put a coat of ice on the lens of my wire free camera that faced the direction of the prevailing wind. Any suggestions on a hood or other device to shield the lens? Where they are mounted, can't put them under an overhang.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Prob if the camera was covered with snow/ice any cover or shield would have been the same way.  i would just bring it in and 'unfreeze' it (OR brush off gently) then place back outside in a sheltered area so it re-acclimates with the temps ( new blowing snow won't stick if cold already but will if warm ).

Only thing I can think of which doesn't really apply here is a heated box for some of my high end cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Prob if the camera was covered with snow/ice any cover or shield would have been the same way.  i would just bring it in and 'unfreeze' it (OR brush off gently) then place back outside in a sheltered area so it re-acclimates with the temps ( new blowing snow won't stick if cold already but will if warm ).

Only thing I can think of which doesn't really apply here is a heated box for some of my high end cameras

Bluedevil
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the quick reply. This is a good suggestion. Only problem is that the cameras are 1500 miles from my location. i just wondered if anyone had found a covering of some type, or a simple box enclosure to deal with this problem. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Bluedevil wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply. This is a good suggestion. Only problem is that the cameras are 1500 miles from my location. i just wondered if anyone had found a covering of some type, or a simple box enclosure to deal with this problem. 

The only problem with a box, is the type of material that you use.... first, remember that glass will not pass the IR needed to trigger motion record

Second ,I would guess it would need some sort of power ( my hi end cam box has a heat element and fan , cost about $40 runs on 12vdc )

good luck, be interested if you come up with anything