ARLO Paid Subscriber Experience

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Balony
Guide
Guide

It has taken two days of discussions with ARLO support, during which my paid subscription's security systems have remained compromised, to establish that the updated app cannot replicate my pre-existing schedules.

I got an advice to update the ARLO app two days ago. I have a paid subscription, which has been in place for years.

I have two base stations at two separate sites, with seven cameras in total.

Without warning, the app update immediately caused all seven cameras to go into 'Arm Away' mode. The only way to disarm one camera is to disarm all cameras, subsequently compromising my security systems at both sites.

The previous app version allowed me to independently schedule when each base station's cameras would be armed and disarmed.

Final outcome from support centre;

- No option to return to previous app version

- No offer to resolve the issue for a subscribed/paying customer

- Not even a 'bait and switch' scam option to buy additional service to return pre-existing functionality.

Ultimate outcome for subscriber:

- Unbelievably poor app development strategy renders ARLO unusable for existing customers.

- Thousands of dollars of hardware rendered useless

- Seek alternative security options

- Cancel subscription and move on

13 REPLIES 13
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I recall recently that a customer was able to negotiate with arlo support to restore the older UI app on there account.

I tried looking for the thread but it seems to have been since removed.

If the above option to restore the older app UI is possible by arlo support then it would mean that arlo is purposefully forcing customers into using an unwanted UI app that features failures rather than newer features. 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

If the above option to restore the older app UI is possible by arlo support then it would mean that arlo is

> purposefully forcing customers into using an unwanted UI app that features failures rather than newer features. 

@DannyBearAgain yes, they are forcing you onto the new UI, as there is no option during the process to opt out, i.e. there is no 'cancel' button. 

Do you know/recall the user's name? It'd be great to find out. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Balony wrote:

The only way to disarm one camera is to disarm all cameras, subsequently compromising my security systems at both sites.

IMO, they do need to put back custom modes.

You can manually turn off a single camera in that camera's device settings.  That is essentially the same as disarming it, except that you need to turn it back on before you can livestream it.

As I think you are aware, you can set up multiple locations, and that will give you the three modes for each location (independently), and you could schedule the two sites independently.  But unfortunately each location requires its own subscription. 

Since you appear to have some Pro 2 cameras, you could potentially put only Pro 2 cameras at one site.  Then you could use the 7-day free storage at one site, and only subscribe for the location with the Ultras.  You'd lose smart notifications and activity zones for the unsubscribed site. 

You could alternatively use local storage for one of the sites.  Though there is a currently bug in the iOS app - port forwarding doesn't work.

Balony
Guide
Guide

After cancelling my subscription, I was contacted by ARLO customer support. My app has been returned to the previous version and is back to normal - I was assured that this wasn't possible during previous customer support conversations... It seems that removing financial commitment (Subscription) makes it possible.

I was also told not to approve any future updates, as ARLO will continue to support the old app version to ensure functionality.  This raises concerns with system security moving forward; i.e. if i cannot update my app, how can ARLO guarantee ongoing system integrity???

There must be some very serious conversations going on at ARLO. What a debacle.

I'll spend the next few months looking for an alternative system, as I am sure this 'fix' will eventually collapse under the weight of ongoing technology development.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Before you drag out a credit card consider reading the multitude of posts from arlo customers demanding refunds for overcharging and continued charging after the subscription is canceled.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

All this is shocking. At every level. We should collectively file a CEO complaint or a complaint to the board of directors as this nonsense can't continue. However, I've written to the CEO before - by email and by letter - and he didn't even bother to acknowledge my communication. Or deluded that everything is hunky-dory.

@Balony would you please provide proof that your UI was changed back to the previous experience (chats confirming that, screenshots with dates etc.)? This is so we can take up with Arlo the issue of the new User interface not being functional.

Balony
Guide
Guide

B7FDF892-9D86-415F-B774-6453D0E4D146.jpeg

Balony
Guide
Guide

The other screens show personal info/stations/cameras, so this is the only photo I'll be sharing. 

The update was done while I was on the phone to ARLO support - They rang me (Sorry, no chat record). They got their tech to 'update my service', asked me to fully close and reopen the app, and I'm back on the old app version. My old schedules are back too.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Edinburgh_lad1 

No, I recall that it was performed by a arlo support person rather than an arlo moderator/employee but I guess the user may not have known the difference.

Thanks for the link, makes a good read  about Australia consumer law.

o-man2222
Guide
Guide

Less than pleased (again) with Arlo after reading your post…

I just bought an Arlo Essential camera (2nd gen) after being advised that the Pro cameras I have will no longer be supported.

The retailers website says download and use Arlo Secure app. I have that app installed, but after trying to install the camera I now find that these devices won’t work unless the new app is installed. I have not been upgraded yet.

Way I see it,  I have 3 options:

• return the new camera due to misrepresentation on the retailers website and then resist the upgrade
  • put the new camera in a drawer wait for the upgrade and deal with the shortcomings
  • End subscription now and throw the lot in the rubbish and rack the loss of $2k and my home’s security to another tech product ruined by poor support.

any other suggestions or solutions are welcomed

O

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

My recommendation is not to upgrade to the new user interface. It's full of issues, and the latest one that I noticed is that the SmartHub goes offline after playing a video or two, and frankly, because I'm busy, I have no time to again provide free reports to Arlo what is wrong with their poorly executed system.

I repeat: do not upgrade as you'll regret it. In fact, your option 3 sounds very tantalising.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@o-man2222 wrote:

Less than pleased (again) with Arlo after reading your post…

I just bought an Arlo Essential camera (2nd gen) after being advised that the Pro cameras I have will no longer be supported.

The retailers website says download and use Arlo Secure app. I have that app installed, but after trying to install the camera I now find that these devices won’t work unless the new app is installed. I have not been upgraded yet.

Way I see it,  I have 3 options:

• return the new camera due to misrepresentation on the retailers website and then resist the upgrade
  • put the new camera in a drawer wait for the upgrade and deal with the shortcomings
  • End subscription now and throw the lot in the rubbish and rack the loss of $2k and my home’s security to another tech product ruined by poor support.

any other suggestions or solutions are welcomed

FWIW, I've been using Feed for a while now.

Whether migrating to feed will be an issue for you depends on what features you are using.

1. Do you have any custom modes?  If so, how many?
  2. Are you scheduling the cameras
  3. Are you using geofencing?

FWIW, everyone will end up "Feed" eventually.  So even if you never install the Gen 2 essential camera, at some point your interface will change.  No idea when that will happen in your specific case.