Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO Cam Infrared is starting to die... tried everything

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Atlantagreg
Tutor
Tutor

I have an original Arlo camera model.  Noticed the last few days, the infrared illuminator is not coming on.  When you go out and look at it, it does seem to come on, but it's very dim.  When you try "live view" the view is dark because it's so dim.  Maybe 1 out of 5+ times it will pop on at full, but the rest of the times it's so dim the image is dark.  I've tried resyncing the camera.  I've tried turning it off and on, adjust zoom on and off, and even removing the batteries, waiting, and replacing with new batteries - in other words pretty much everything I've been able to find online in terms of "fixes".  None have worked.

So am I dealing with a camera that's just plain dying?  How does Arlo typically handle these after 1 year?  Are you pretty much on your own to buy a new one or do they offer replacements?

3 REPLIES 3
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Have you got a second camera you can use to compare?

Contact Support and see what they have to say but if you're outside of the warranty period, you may not have joy. The silver lining is if you replace the camera with an Arlo Pro add on camera, the Arlo Pro is significantly better in all aspects

Atlantagreg
Tutor
Tutor

steve_t....

Well, I already had one camera act weird in that location.  It kept losing sync with my wifi, even though I have VERY strong wifi in that area.  And every time we had even a minor power outage it would not reconnect to the base, so I got tired of having to always take it down to resync, and swapped one of my other cameras that I use indoors for that one.  Then - this issue with the infrared started happening with THAT camera.  But the IR did work on the last one - it was just wifi on that one acting up. 

You can see my frustration.  My 1st gen Arlos have not been good to me.  Every time we have a longer power outage the whole thing goes whacky and I have to basically re-install all of them.  Then these issues, etc etc.  I'm not sure I want to invest nearly $200 in a single Arlo Pro camera.  I understand from what I've read that they'll work with an original base station maybe without every feature working, though.  Just not sure I want to keep putting money into what I consider a buggy system.  Was just curious if others have had this IR issue and if they had experience with Arlo replacing cameras after 12 months.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Fair enough. I haven't seen any other threads about IR illuminator problems but have a search.