Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Stu06
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station is with my wifi router in front room. My cameras are outside the back garden and drive, the range is not very good through walls, how can i get a better signal on my cameras as they go off every couple days due to losing connection. Can i put a second base station in to increase signal without it being attached to the router?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The only true way to expand coverage is with more than one base...

There is no limit on the number of bases on any account level.

you can move the base to a central location if that helps via cable OR you can use a wifi extender with an ethernet port to add a second base. ( base needs access to internet via etherent )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Stu06
Aspirant
Aspirant
So if i buy an extender then plug a 2nd base into the extender closer to the cameras that should pick the cameras up? Or do i need to link the cameras to the new base unit?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stu06 wrote:
So if i buy an extender then plug a 2nd base into the extender closer to the cameras that should pick the cameras up? Or do i need to link the cameras to the new base unit?

You link the cameras to the base with best signal...usu the closest.

Nice option is that if you split up your cameras like front/back , you can run a separate schedule on each base... this works well for me.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The OP seems to be saying that the cameras are only in the back and that they all have range issues. If this is the case, using the WiFi extender to reposition the existing base is all you need to do - no need for a second base. However, if you have other cameras that already have a good signal, moving the existing base may be an issue and that's when the second base would be a good idea.

Stu06
Aspirant
Aspirant
How can i reposition the base if it is plugged into the wifi router in a different room?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

you can either use ethernet cable up to 300ft OR a wifi extender with an ethernet port and plug the base into the extender