Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have an Arlo camera attached to a window frame about 8 feet from the left of my front door. I have a walkway parallel the house, leading up to the door, and then three steps to go up. My Arlo camera would only start recording when the person reached the second step. So if a delivery person stopped before he/she reached the steps, and threw a package to my front door, it would not be recorded.

I then purchased a second Arlo camera, and mounted it about 9 feet to the right of my front door, and aimed it towards the walkway. So now I could get a video of a person approaching the front door (camera 2), and then a second video of the person at my front door (camera 1) -- providing he went up the steps. Unfortunately, most of the time I just got a side or rear view of the person.

But I found out that I could change the "rules" of my cameras, and I changed them so that my second camera doesn't record, but instead triggers my first camera to begin recording. Now my first camera records people coming up the walkway -- all the way up to my front door. I now get a full view of the front of the person.

In several cases, my camera has somehow captured a person walking up the entire length of my 30-foot driveway, all the way up to my front door! I'm really happy about that.

I just thought I'd share this info with the community in case some of you are not satisfied with your camera's range.

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cameraz,

This is a great method that many users have had success with. I'm glad this worked well for you and thank you for sharing your experience with the community so others can benefit from this tip.

JamesC

steve_t
Master Master
Master

cameraz,

You can even create a custom recording mode. In this mode have 4 rules
Camera 1 motion triggers Camera 1 to record

Camera 2 motion trigger Camera 1 to record (as you already have and add)

Camera 1 motion triggers camera 2 to record

Camera 2 motion triggers camera 2 to record

That way if either camera detects motion, both will record. It's a great way to have multi angle coverage of the same area

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, Steve.

I tried setting up custom rules the way you suggested, but it didn't work. I guess I didn't do it right.

I basically use two different modes: 1) "Armed" mode, with ALL of my cameras active (interior and exterior) for when I'm away from home, and 2) "Front Cameras" mode, activating exterior cameras only, for when I'm at home.

But when I put Arlo in "Armed" mode, it is not following the new custom modes I just set up. I guess I have to be in Custom mode -- which would be the "Front Cameras" mode. I will probably have to add another custom mode to include my interior cameras, and change the "Armed" mode to only be my exterior cameras. I can re-label them later.

Sounds confusing, but I'm hoping I can figure it out.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

You can't add additional rules to Armed AFAIK. You'll have to use the two custom modes you've created (will create)

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Right! You can't add rules to the Armed Mode, but you can edit the mode to exclude a camera you don't want activated.

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't remove rules from the Armed mode which is how you would exclude them (any camera without a rule is disarmed). Not sure what you're doing.

If you mean you expect the Armed mode to use the rules in a custom mode, that won't work. You either use the Armed mode OR the custom mode. They don't work together.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

In armed mode, you can tell one of the cameras to Do Nothing as long as you select either a push or email notification or both

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

In Armed mode, it let me select whichever cameras I want. I originally had it set up to control two outdoor cameras (1 & 2) and one indoor camera (3). But I changed Camera 3 to Camera 2 and had it record to Camera 2.

I set it up to do the following -- when motion is detected:

-- Camera 1 records to Camera 1

-- Camera 2 records to Camera 1

-- Camera 2 records to Camera 2

I did not set up any rules for Camera 3, because I don't want it active when I am home.

However, this did not work for some reason. A postal carrier delivered a package to my front door, and I only got a video of her walking away from Camera 1. Camera 2 (which she passed by first) never recorded her (remember: this is in Armed mode)

But I'm actually more concerned how things work while I am not at home, so I will go out and test my custom mode, in which all three cameras should record ... hopefully.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I don't use Armed at all. I only use custom modes. More flexibility that way. Hope you get your modes and rules sorted so your system runs how you want it to run

cameraz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks! I'll figure it out ... sooner or later. Man Tongue