Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

2 of my cameras are now offline and inop.   Shouldn't there be some better way to provide status of outages instead of having to possibly come to this area to search for a post telling everyone something is broken.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like some users in this thread could be experiencing an issue with their cameras being offline due to not receiving the most recent camera firmware update.

For troubleshooting information on this topic, please take a look at this article: My Arlo camera is offline since the release of the recent firmware update; what do I do?

If you are still experiencing this issue, please let us know or feel free to private message me, I would be happy to help.

JamesC

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Bshillbilly
Tutor
Tutor

Same here. Some cameras "offline" . Constant issues with arrgh Arlo 

Flashfox
Guide
Guide

Seems like I am not the only one where one of my cameras isn't showing anything.

Removed the batteries, reinserted them, even tried new batteries, deleted the camera and tried to resintal it by following the instructions. Blue LED fast-flashes and per the manual this confirms sync but camera doesn't appear.

Before I removed and reinstalled the camera the message I was getting was:: "Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection.". Now the camera fails to appear in the list... it's gone!

Sent an E-mail to SUPPORT and got a tracking number (E-mail and phone support number are in the Support section)

Summary: I have one Q and four Wireless versions, and one expensive wireless one can't be used.

Arlo support ... solution???

Flashfox
Guide
Guide

FLASH UPDATE - ALL CAMERAS ARE BACK ON-LINE

I had to reboot the base three times. For whatever reason after the third reboot all of the cameras re-appeared.

---original message-----

Grrr... now I have a second camera that is flagged as off-line !!!!!

What the h**l is going on Netgear? This is an expensive system and now I have two cameras that are "off-line" even after re-synching w/fast-flashing blue LED confirming sync.

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

Gonna try to do the triple reboot method and see if somehow, there is a firmware FIXIT update that Netgear/Arlo has for us hidding after rebooting so many darn times.  Its not like they do not have our email addresses and can tell which customers have cameras offline that are registered and see that information and let us know directly that they are working on an update.  

Heck, I got an email from Insteon the other day to let me know they were going to be applying a firmware update to my Insteon Hub.  I don't understand the lack of communication from Netgear/Arlo for their buying and paid customers.  What I have noticed is that across the board from vendors, products are now popping up in this age of the Internet of Things, and any group that has a product and a support board with posts feels that equals support.  I think as consumers, we are now caught in the jinx.  

Flashfox
Guide
Guide

After the reboot and getting all my cameras back, one of them was flagged for a FW update. It went along and the camera returned to service once it was completed. Don't know if other cameras were flagged too?

By the way, the camera that was updated was NOT one of the two that were off-line.

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

Flashfox wrote:

After the reboot and getting all my cameras back, one of them was flagged for a FW update. It went along and the camera returned to service once it was completed. Don't know if other cameras were flagged too?

By the way, the camera that was updated was NOT one of the two that were off-line.

My origional two cameras that said they were offline are now a different two cameras.    

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

One thing is for sure.  I experienced multiple outages across different services all at the same/similar time.  Netflix, Arlo and even my banks credit card system to see my balances and make payments were all doing weird things from no services, broken web pages to integration missing points.   Makes me smell of the days of classic top level domain failures or AWS (not to pin this on them).

sbtyper
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just called support and the lady told me to resync every camera again. I feel like that's a lazy answer to give me. I work in IT so it's like saying your computer is slow so format your hard drive. Oh well I should of know better not to call.

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

sbtyper wrote:
I just called support and the lady told me to resync every camera again. I feel like that's a lazy answer to give me. I work in IT so it's like saying your computer is slow so format your hard drive. Oh well I should of know better not to call.

Well, I went ahead and resynced one of my cameras and it reconnected and is now working.  The other camera is in a more remote spot and will need to do that in the morning.

Flashfox
Guide
Guide

For what it's worth, I had lost two of my five cameras and resynching didn't work. So I rebooted the base once ... same problem ... second time ... same problem ... third time ... Hmm what? All cameras were visible again.

Could it be that when the base communicated with the Arlo server(s) that on the 3rd try it reached one that was working properly?

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

Flashfox wrote:

For what it's worth, I had lost two of my five cameras and resynching didn't work. So I rebooted the base once ... same problem ... second time ... same problem ... third time ... Hmm what? All cameras were visible again.

Could it be that when the base communicated with the Arlo server(s) that on the 3rd try it reached one that was working properly?

I originally tried syncing a camera and that did not work.

Secound, I rebooted the base 3 times, and that did not work.

Lastly, I resynced my camera and that did work.

So, maybe its a combination lock that Netgear is being reluctant to tell us how to get our cameras working again.  I feel like I am in one of those horror movies where they lock a bunch of us in a room and give us clues to survive.  We are all trying to figure out the riddle to bring our cameras back without their help, before we all lose our cool.  And don't think sending all of this equipment back has not crossed my mind.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have been on since the beginning last spring. Get used to service outages, server failures, corrupt firmware , full batteries suddenly dying, climbing up and down your ladder to resync. And most of all get used to no admitence, communication or service from netgear. While we all spent hours this weekend trying to figure this problem out, the good folks at Netgear were home enjoying their families with as not as much as a post to say they acknowledge this problem and are working on it.

Piccler
Tutor
Tutor

Showguy wrote:
I have been on since the beginning last spring. Get used to service outages, server failures, corrupt firmware , full batteries suddenly dying, climbing up and down your ladder to resync. And most of all get used to no admitence, communication or service from netgear. While we all spent hours this weekend trying to figure this problem out, the good folks at Netgear were home enjoying their families with as not as much as a post to say they acknowledge this problem and are working on it.

TRUTH and not a PEEP out of them - this is clearly widespread with no acknowledgement - as I said before, I'm returning mine for a different setup. I can't continue to have outages with no ETA - I'm in IT and would lose my job if my system went down for 5 days with no resolution or communication.

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

Showguy wrote:

+10

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like some users in this thread could be experiencing an issue with their cameras being offline due to not receiving the most recent camera firmware update.

For troubleshooting information on this topic, please take a look at this article: My Arlo camera is offline since the release of the recent firmware update; what do I do?

If you are still experiencing this issue, please let us know or feel free to private message me, I would be happy to help.

JamesC

neilgreene
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC wrote:

JamesC

Okay, I resynced my other failed camera and it is back online now.  I think I would add the following.  When/if you are going to update firmware and there are specific things for the user community to check, you can not simply do one form of communication like update a DISCUSSION GROUP with notes about an upcoming firmware update.  That can easily NOT be read by a large majority of users and is only 1 method of communication.  PREFERABLY, I would 1) send an email if the users profile has them marked for such communications and 2) post something like an announcement on the webpage or app when logging in and the notice is displayed until the end user decides/wishes to close the reminder.  That way, you have 3 methods of communication.

I did not see the notice about the firmware update.  And I also did not have any cameras not connected or low on battery.  So, I was still effected obviouslly.  Communication usually solves problems.