Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
vionic
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the last 6 months, 1, 2, or 3 of my 4 cameras are showing no pic or offline, why?  I noticed some Arlo owners are selling their systems and buying a competitors brand. Do they know something I don't know.  Programming bugs added to software? New owners of the Arlo brand? Reduced customer support? Someone (Arlo) corrupting my system. Planned obsolescence? Why are my cameras having more frequent problems? Is it because I don't have a subscription to Arlo's services.  Why would I need it if my cameras don't work?

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You don't need a subscription for these cameras - it wouldn't make any difference. Note that what you see here are complaints but not posts from those with excellent results. 

The usual culprit is something about the signal strength and/or quality between the base and cameras. Without testing and troubleshooting, all you're doing is peeing in the wind. First, check the signal strengths of all cameras. Check for other wireless devices near either the cameras or the base that also use the 2.4GHz band (doesn't have to be just WiFi). Move the base away from the router as much as you can. What is the house construction since some methods severely attenuate wireless signals? What is in the walls between the base and cameras as well as how many walls and floors does the signal have to pass through in a straight line? Have you tried repositioning cameras? When a camera is offline, what do you do to reconnect it? When offline do you still get recordings? What do the LEDs on the base show?

This isn't a complete list but should provide useful feedback. Each system works differently so switching brands may or may not provide satisfaction. "It depends." (TM)

vionic
Aspirant
Aspirant

I replied to this via survey.  I submitted my comments only to get a Authentication mis-match Arlo error.  I'm not going to re-write my concerns all over again.  You find it in my submitted reply.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vionic wrote:

You find it in my submitted reply.

Well, we won't, since neither @jguerdat nor I work for Arlo.