Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
arlotech
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm an existing user with Arlo for a while now with Arlo pro 2 cameras. I love the product and interested to buy the video door bell. However, I see I have to pay $2.99 every month after 3 months, which is resisting me to pull the trigger. To be honest, I purchased Arlo only because of free 7 day cloud storage.

My question would be, If I purchase a Arlo video doorbell shall I able to just set specific zone for the motion alerts without subscription. I can manage withOUT video history however, I live near a street where lot of people just walk and I don't want to be alerted every time. In order for that I just want to restrict my zone close to the door. Is there a way I can do without  getting the subscription?

I can do this zone restriction in my Arlo pro2 when I connect to the power supply(without getting subscription) and I assume arlo video door bell also operated on power supply.

Could anyone please shed some light on this.

18 REPLIES 18
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlotech,

Activity zones on the Arlo Video Doorbell are a cloud based service and require an Arlo Smart subscription to be applied. Without an Arlo Smart subscription, you would still get calls to your mobile device when the doorbell button is pressed and push notifications when the doorbell detects motion, but you would not be able to enable activity zones.

JamesC

ppalmernc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the video door bell a few days ago. I had no problem installing. However, I am not receiving any motion notifications when someone walks up to the door. Can someone explain this? I'm just finding out that I cannot use the activity zones unless I purchase the monthly subscription. There is a good chance I will be returning it to best buy. Also I was going to add cameras to my set up but I'm second guessing that now.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is,,, Do i have to have a subscription in order to receive any notifications?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ppalmernc,

Without a subscription to Arlo Smart, you should still receive push notifications when motion is detected and calls should still be made to your mobile device when the doorbell button is pressed. Is the doorbell set to "Armed" mode? Does it still make a call when the doorbell button is pressed?

JamesC

ppalmernc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the mode is set to armed and yes it does notify my by phone call. I also tested it several times and it does send a notification. It's possible that the volume on the phone might have been turned down. Can you say if they are working on an update that would give us the option to turn off phone call notification while permitting the chime to ring? That would be a great option.

Thanks

arlotech
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you! But honestly I came to arlo only because of the free storage and no subscription. Making the cloud storage as subscription is meaning full. But making the activity zone under the subscription is not OK
Many door bells like ring provide activity zones with out subscription.

Is there any update coming to link with the existing base station so we can use for local storage?

If not I would hesitate to buy arlo rather than free activity zone setup from ring.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

arlotech,

The Arlo Engineering team is working on implementing compatibility between the Arlo Video Doorbell and select Arlo Smart Hubs and base-stations. Stay tuned for more details as we prepare to release more details surrounding this upcoming support in the coming months.

JamesC

rdjohnso
Aspirant
Aspirant
How can i RESTRICT alerts to ONLY the activity zone? I get alerts every early morning from cars driving by delivering the paper... i gave made zones small enough that i shouldn't get alerts from the cars.
mol86
Tutor
Tutor
Hi James,

The app update says it compatibele with Some base stations now is it possible to store video’s on local storage without subsription now?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mol86,

You can enable local storage on a Base Station or SmartHub and cameras that are connected to that base station will save their recordings to the connected storage drive, but the storage drive must be ejected and connected to a computer to be viewed. To do this, take a look here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

The library on your mobile app shows what is saved in the cloud. Arlo Video Doorbell requires an Arlo Smart subscription for content to be stored in the cloud.

JamesC

mol86
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for Your reply is 5ghz WiFi supported on the doorbell? And Any idea when Availible in netherlands
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mol86 wrote:
 is 5ghz WiFi supported on the doorbell? 

No, it only uses 2.4 ghz.

WC188
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, recently you have allowed the video doorbell to be connected to a ok me arlo base stations, and I was able to connect my video doorbell to my base, but will activity zones be available?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WC188 wrote:
Hi, recently you have allowed the video doorbell to be connected to a ok me arlo base stations, and I was able to connect my video doorbell to my base, but will activity zones be available?

Are you seeing them? 

WC188
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, sometimes. I'm using the arlo app on a droid phone. They seem to be removed, then come back.
mol86
Tutor
Tutor
My video doorbell is connecties to a vmb4000r3 first i had activity zones now cant Find them anymore on iPhone!
WC188
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, my free trial subscription just ran out on my video doorbell, and I I do not have any video recordings now. I moved the doorbell to my approved base station. Why did I loose video? That was the whole point of me moving to to the base.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WC188 wrote:
Ok, my free trial subscription just ran out on my video doorbell, and I I do not have any video recordings now. I moved the doorbell to my approved base station. Why did I loose video? That was the whole point of me moving to to the base.

Without a subscription you need to use direct access to local storage.  That requires a Pro3 or Ultra Smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000).  It's not available on older base stations.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlotech wrote:

To be honest, I purchased Arlo only because of free 7 day cloud storage.

Note you don't get that with the Video Doorbell.  Cloud storage requires a subscription with the Ultra, Pro3, and the Video Doorbell.

My doorbells are on the subscription, so I'm not sure if activity zones are available w/o it.  It would be ideal if they were (since as you point out, the camera is AC powered).  But it is possible that particular camera hardware can't do the needed pixel processing.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation