Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired video doorbell power supply

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Seales
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just installed my wired video doorbell (AVD1001), seems all ok but upon install it took a while to “warm” up and change from white/amber flashing and now about an hour later, it is quite warm? The power supply is 24Vac and think about 500mA, is this ok/normal?
5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Seales wrote:
The power supply is 24Vac and think about 500mA

Arlo says 16-24 Vac and at least 1 amp.  So check the amperage.

I don't think underpowering the doorbell should heat it though.  Is it just warm to the touch, or actually hot?  Is it warm/hot on the front of the doorbell?

Seales
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it’s 500mA supply, it’s warm rather than hot but assume this may be because it was charging the battery after initial install and will then cool down?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Seales wrote:
 may be because it was charging the battery after initial install and will then cool down?

Possibly, though the battery is pretty small.  You could wait a bit, and see what happens.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When first installing the doorbell, the internal battery may need to charge before things work properly. That could explain the warmth - charging creates heat. As suggested above, waiting a little while should let things cool down.

TaurusPete
Tutor
Tutor

I observed a similar thing: my wired doorbell became quite warm (guessing about 40-45 C) and stayed that way for as long as I was testing it (more than 24 hours).  It worked as expected but the elevated temperature is unusual and tends to reduce the lifetime of an electronic device. The regular Arlo cameras don't heat up that much. Are other folks observing similar behavior? Is there any setting that would reduce activity or temperature?

My doorbell communicates wirelessly with a nearby Smarthub. It's directly connected to a 24V transformer (without a traditional chime and without the Arlo power kit connected).

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation