Wired video doorbell only works without power kit

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Ktheo
Follower
Follower

Can the doorbell be used without power kit.  Transformer supplies 23.5 volts AC.  If I install the power conditioner it chimes every 15 seconds or so.  Without it works fine but haven't had it up long enough to have any use other than me testing it.  Seems to work fine.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ktheo wrote:

Can the doorbell be used without power kit.  Transformer supplies 23.5 volts AC.  If I install the power conditioner it chimes every 15 seconds or so.  Without it works fine but haven't had it up long enough to have any use other than me testing it.  Seems to work fine.

If this is a new chime, then it is possible that it is designed with video doorbells in mind.  So track down the chime installation manual, and see if there are any statements about video doorbells.  Look particularly for a note saying that power kits shouldn't be used.  Obviously if you see a note like that, you shouldn't install the power kit.

Assuming that is not the situation:

FWIW, I had a similar symptom some years ago, and it turned out to be the transformer (even though the voltage was within spec).  These aren't expensive, so you might just replace it.

A traditional doorbell is just a switch that briefly closes the circuit when you press it.  That of course causes the chime to sound.  The chime therefore has no current passing through it until the doorbell is pressed.

A video doorbell is always drawing some power, and with no power kit, that has to pass through the chime.  That can potentially create a safety hazard, since the chime wasn't designed for that.  The power kit solves that problem by diverting the normal doorbell power around the chime until the doorbell is pressed.  It basically emulates the load the chime was designed for.

As you might expect, Arlo doesn't recommend operation w/o the power kit (and it might void the warranty).  If you want to continue w/o the power kit anyway, I suggest you take a close look at the chime.  Make sure nothing is warm to the touch.  Also listen closely for any soft humming or buzzing sounds.  

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation